running dual screens problem

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ImpRoV
New Cone
New Cone

running dual screens problem

Postby ImpRoV » 30 Jan 2009 21:52

hey guys, i've been a vlc fan/lover since i discovered it over a year ago
recently i had to reformat my comp and im more than positive the version i downloaded is newer/more up2date than the old one of course (0.9.8a is what i have now)

currently i run a dualview (native multi display mode, each screen has its own resolution, refresh rate, etc) off of my 8800gtx from a s-vid cable

display 1 is obviously my computer monitor

display 2 is my tv

when i start a movie on my vlc and drag it to my tv/display2 the audio and video work just fine. but the second i right click the movie area and select FULLSCREEN, (note im on my display-2/tv screen) it does infact go full screen and audio and video work fine.. but it automatically moves vlc player AND the movie im watchin to display 1/computer monitor.

how can i make it so when i right click on display 2/tv and select fullscreen that vlc MAX's out on my tv/display2 with no buttons or anything. i obviously dont wanna watch it on my 13.5inch crt monitor!

i max the window out and i have the "media audio video etc" buttons up top and the play pause rewind etc buttons down low

even when i select fullscreen interface from the drop down menu there are buttons, but obviously less than when max'd out.

i run a c2d @ 2.4 with 2 gigs of ram 8800gtx 768mb on xp pro

help me =]

ImpRoV
New Cone
New Cone

Re: running dual screens problem

Postby ImpRoV » 30 Jan 2009 21:55

wow im a nub completely disregard my post

i selected MINIMAL VIEW or w/e and it fixed my prob lol!

im so srry.

feel free 2 delete the post and thx to all the ppl that made vlc happppppen!

ERICSPEEd
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.9.8a
Operating System: XP Pro SP3

Postby ERICSPEEd » 02 Feb 2009 06:40

I couldn't get VLC 0.9.8a to full screen on my CRT TV (monitor 2) until I did this:

1.In preferences select "all" on the lower left hand side.
2.Expand the "Video" settings on the left hand side (click on the "+" box next to "Video")
3.Expand the "Output Modules" settings (click on the "+")
4.click on "DirectX"
5.Check the box marked "Use hardware YUV->RGB conversions"
6.Select the display you wish to use from the drop down menu (across from "Name of desired display device").
7.Save your settings.

I never had the button issues you mentioned but it used to Full Screen on my LCD (monitor 1) versus my CRT TV (monitor 2) until I did the above. Now It opens the video on my TV and the player control panel stays on my LCD (just the way I like it).

Glad you fixed you problem. But if need be you can try what I did.
Google master.

milns
New Cone
New Cone

Postby milns » 01 May 2010 21:27

I cannot find any clear documentation for setting up the dual screen support permanently but you can set up VLC to run two screens with the controls on the first screen and the video on the second screen.
  • Open VLC then tools->Preferences
  • Select ALL at the bottom left
  • Select the Video section - (click on the Video icon)
  • Select FullScreen video output and deselect Embedded video
  • Open the Video section list (click on the arrow the left of the Video icon
  • Open the Output modulessection list
  • Select Directx
  • On the right box in the main part select the drop down list and select \\.\DISPLAY2
  • Click on Save
  • Close VLC and restart to activate the changes
Maybe VideoLan can add this as a HowTo as many have a dual screen setup

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”