Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Oct 2008 14:24

There are a few issues on Windows that we are AWARE of. So stop making new threads:
  • Media Button are 'eaten' by VLC
  • Some MetaData are not shown, especially for live streams
  • SSA Subs using external police are broken

You cannot do anything about it, wait for the next release or use 0.8.6.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Darklord666
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby Darklord666 » 08 Oct 2008 19:57

For the first view, the new release seems o.k. to me.
But I want to report a minor bug. I The problem is, when I select "choose file" and I select "show all", then not all files are shown. So I have to manually add an appropriate extension to the file I want to save. :-|
That's not so great. :wink:

pseudo555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: from 0.8.6 to 3.0
Operating System: win 10

Postby pseudo555 » 08 Oct 2008 22:37

All theses bug appears when the option Integrate video in interface is disable (not checked) :
- windows don't resize to previous setting after full-screen used : play a movie, use full screen, go back to "windows" size : it use the screen resolution, not the previous one.
- interface->main interface->qt show a controller in full screen (activated) and show playing name in windows title (desactivated) don't seems to have an effect :
first one never appear.
second one still appear like a subtitle at the start of the movie.

Great release anyway,
Have a nice day ;)

arwa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby arwa » 09 Oct 2008 09:10

when i click media -> network i get blue screen and system restart

MadlyMad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MadlyMad » 09 Oct 2008 13:10

- interface->main interface->qt show a controller in full screen (activated) and show playing name in windows title (desactivated) don't seems to have an effect :
1) first one never appear.
2) second one still appear like a subtitle at the start of the movie.
Hi,

1) if you're using not embbeded / separated interface, yes, this is a bug,
2) you're using the bad option, this is for showing the video title on top of windows, in windows title actually.
to disable the thing you want, go in Advanced\Video : the option default value is 5000 ms :wink:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Oct 2008 15:57

Duh... Your computer/drivers are damaged...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

silekonn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby silekonn » 10 Oct 2008 04:03

the mouse volume control is cool, but it doesnt match the meter in the control panel depending on the speed/timing you roll the wheel you can get it to 200 with the volume meter not picking up part of it.

Pepi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pepi » 10 Oct 2008 08:55

It seems the same old bug from 0.8.6i has returned: In version 0.9.4 I can't create a screen capture. VLC simply crashes. Windows XP. Does anybody else have the same problem?

EDIT:
BTW, before I uninstalled 0.9.4 I noticed that there was no remedy for the annoyance that also exists in 0.9.2: it hooks and makes the special keyboard keys which allow me to alter volume level, turn volume on/off etc., pretty useless. Unless you remember to run VLC in fullscreen mode, in which case they will work. Annoying, but can be lived with until resolved. This behaviour does not exist in version 0.8.6h. (I skipped the "i" version due to screen capture bug above.) Anybody else experiencing the same odd behaviour?
Note: The special keyboard keys I'm talking about, are probably not available on most keyboards. I've got an HP multimedia system with a multimedia keyboard.

radchick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby radchick » 10 Oct 2008 14:04

Hi

So far the only issue i have is that while watching a something, it will randomly stop and go, sometimes when i first load it up to start watching it will freeze up my whole computer temporarily for about 30 seconds, then the video will begin, but after that at random times throughout watching, it will freeze then unfreeze. Not sure why, i don't believe its my computer as i have rebooted. I didn''t have this problem with the previous version. I am considering going to the previous version because it is distracting and annoying, thank you.

edit: i downloaded the newest, which i wasn't aware of until i actually went to the site, as i got the other version probably right before this new one came out. i loaded a dvd and i had no freeze ups or anything, i have yet to play a full feature film to see if it freezes up, but given that this didn't freeze up on load it leads me to believe it won't freeze up during play. if i have further problems of the same nature i'll do another edit, thank you :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Oct 2008 15:45

EDIT:
BTW, before I uninstalled 0.9.4 I noticed that there was no remedy for the annoyance that also exists in 0.9.2: it hooks and makes the special keyboard keys which allow me to alter volume level, turn volume on/off etc., pretty useless. Unless you remember to run VLC in fullscreen mode, in which case they will work. Annoying, but can be lived with until resolved. This behaviour does not exist in version 0.8.6h. (I skipped the "i" version due to screen capture bug above.) Anybody else experiencing the same odd behaviour?
Note: The special keyboard keys I'm talking about, are probably not available on most keyboards. I've got an HP multimedia system with a multimedia keyboard.
As j-b said, Media Button are 'eaten' by VLC.
1.0.0 should fix this.

radchick: you reseted VLC settings and tried different video and audio output modules?

Harl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Harl » 10 Oct 2008 22:52

I also noticed VLC is unable to open/play DVD folder stored on hard drive. Can someone confirm this? It works with 0.8.6 version.

Log says:
main error: no access module matched "dvd"
main error: open of `dvd://D:\Video\_workspace\dvd' failed: could not create access: no access module matched "dvd"

main error: no access module matched "dvdsimple"
main error: open of `dvdsimple://D:\Video\_workspace\dvd' failed: could not create access: no access module matched "dvdsimple"

rogge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rogge » 10 Oct 2008 23:37

Hi

I have just installed 094 on my new laptop that has Vista installed and I am not able to play any DVDs , they start noo picture is shown, just some scatterd pixels.

blinding
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: XP Pro SP3

Postby blinding » 11 Oct 2008 06:31

I think the hide in taskbar option is very cool! One thing that would make it even better is if it worked :wink:

When a movie finishes playing in full screen mode I wind up with an empty window about the size of the default player. By empty
I mean that there is the usual window frame but inside it is black, no control buttons. If I right click in the taskbar icon
and cycle through "show ..." and then "Hide ..." it will correct this. (OS is XP Pro SP3.) Anyone else seeing this?

I am also wondering if this my be an interaction with the "always on top" option.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Oct 2008 20:20

Harl, does it work any better if you start DVD playback from commandline?

blinding, could you provide screenshot?

roms712
New Cone
New Cone

Postby roms712 » 11 Oct 2008 21:06

I've just noticed a problem with the playlist.
Fresh install (0.9.4) -> add the "artist" column -> close VLC -> open VLC -> no more popup menu when I right-click on the header (ID, Artist, Title, etc) so I can't add/remove one of the columns...
also the Artist column sorts the string, not the number (playlist M3U, EXTINF tag)
for example, "#EXTINF:0,145 - Poker Channel" and 145 is in the Artist column.

hfswjyr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hfswjyr » 12 Oct 2008 07:18

I've just noticed a problem with the playlist.
Fresh install (0.9.4) -> add the "artist" column -> close VLC -> open VLC -> no more popup menu when I right-click on the header (ID, Artist, Title, etc) so I can't add/remove one of the columns...
also the Artist column sorts the string, not the number (playlist M3U, EXTINF tag)
for example, "#EXTINF:0,145 - Poker Channel" and 145 is in the Artist column.
I can confirm that.

Der Jurist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Der Jurist » 12 Oct 2008 13:40

The same problem here.

minhtri_595
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minhtri_595 » 12 Oct 2008 15:29

I also have a proplem
when i play file .mkv, it seems lag but play with media player classic is ok
when i use mediainfo in K-litecodepack, it shows
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames
i think it is problem, because when i try player another mkv with ReFrames 4 or 8 or else, VLC plays normal

eggshell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eggshell » 13 Oct 2008 12:05

Ive noticed some freezes when playing a lan stream . Once the freezes begin they dont disappear until passing to another stream and going back to the first .
086 didnt behave that way ( playing the same stream for 2 years ) . reinstalled 086 after 094 and then again 094 , so this is specific to 094 . I suppose the buffer size in 094 is different ( smaller ?) . is there a way to manually set the buffer ?

Another issue - am I missing something or the "save playlist" button is no more in the playlist window ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 Oct 2008 14:00

minhtri_595: that is HD clip?

Der Jurist: Problem is in your device drivers or in your hardware. You can check the fault error from that blue screen message.

eggshell: You can change cache value, if you think it is the reason for the problems. Save playlist is in main interface now (I don't know why).

Pepi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pepi » 13 Oct 2008 14:06

As j-b said, Media Button are 'eaten' by VLC.
1.0.0 should fix this.

radchick: you reseted VLC settings and tried different video and audio output modules?
I've got several "media buttons" (plural) so I never made the connection between "media button" (singular) and what I see before me. Besides, "media button" doesn't really tell me anything. "Media button" where? On the program? Under the Start menu? It wasn't clear to me that "media button" refered to several keyboard keys, since "media buttons" has sometimes been used to name the buttons on a media toolbar on the GUI of software, like, e.g., a media player.

As for version. I've gone back to 0.8.6h. Far too many annoying issues with the newer releases. To name a few issues I've found:
* screen capture crash revisited (reusing old library from 0.8.6i?) [this only for version on main page on site, not nightly from Oct. 6, which is the last tested by me]
* "media buttons" problem [all 0.9 versions]
* shaky DVD support, cannot change audio device when DVD is playing (hangs VLC), results in frozen menus, frozen image, but the sound plays on [only tested with the version on main page of the site]
* extremely slow startup (get the feeling it's because of .NET issues) [all 0.9 versions]
* image refresh is shaky, black screen, frozen image, pixellation of screen image, are common problems, especially when using Shift or Ctrl and right or left arrows to move around in the movie [all 0.9 versions, although the Oct. 6 nightly version seems a tad better in this regard].

If the version on the main page of the site and the Oct. 6 nightly version are one and the same version, this I haven't checked, the problems I've encountered must be random. None of the issues are to be found in version 0.8.6h, however.

navysealltblue
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby navysealltblue » 14 Oct 2008 04:34

I am having two main issues so far.
first of which is when I am playing a video in fullscreen, and it goes to the next item in the playlist, it stays windowed instead of reverting back to fullscreen.
secondly, when I am accessing preferences, it brings the video up over the preferences window when mouseover of an option to determine meaning occurs.

edit:
I've tried skinnable, qt, and default interfaces without fixing the problem, also as side note, since someone suggested it as fix, "Interface ineraction" is indeed checked, and no fix.

clcradiogm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby clcradiogm » 14 Oct 2008 06:43

Hi

I have just installed 094 on my new laptop that has Vista installed and I am not able to play any DVDs , they start noo picture is shown, just some scatterd pixels.
We get scatterred pixels on most stream startups now, as well, they last about a whole minute, wheras with .8.6 h would last about 1/4 of a second or less upon starting video stream. WinXP SP3

navysealltblue
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby navysealltblue » 14 Oct 2008 07:15

Hi

We get scatterred pixels on most stream startups now, as well, they last about a whole minute, wheras with .8.6 h would last about 1/4 of a second or less upon starting video stream. WinXP SP3
same with win xp sp2

minhtri_595
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minhtri_595 » 14 Oct 2008 10:52

minhtri_595: that is HD clip?
that's right
but VLC can play another HD clip if
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1