Direct X setting Won't play videos

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ktonlai
New Cone
New Cone

Direct X setting Won't play videos

Postby ktonlai » 03 Oct 2008 06:26

Hello

I am trying to set up VLC so i can play vidoes on my wallpaper. The thing is, no matter what i try, it never works. here is what has happened so far:

-the videos can play on OPENGL setting, but not on DIRECTX setting (video output)
-there is no wallpaper option when i am on OPENGL but there is a wallpaper option when i am on DIRECTX (but directx doesnt play, so i am left with a blank desktop)
-i have tried every single type of video format (.avi, .flv, youtube videos, .wmv) and none of them play on directx setting

is this normal? is there a way to set it on OPENGL yet still have the wallpaper option open for me?

Cheers,

Kton

random
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Direct X setting Won't play videos

Postby random » 03 Oct 2008 11:17

Hello

I am trying to set up VLC so i can play vidoes on my wallpaper. The thing is, no matter what i try, it never works. here is what has happened so far:

-the videos can play on OPENGL setting, but not on DIRECTX setting (video output)
-there is no wallpaper option when i am on OPENGL but there is a wallpaper option when i am on DIRECTX (but directx doesnt play, so i am left with a blank desktop)
-i have tried every single type of video format (.avi, .flv, youtube videos, .wmv) and none of them play on directx setting

is this normal? is there a way to set it on OPENGL yet still have the wallpaper option open for me?

Cheers,

Kton
Your O/S ? XP HOME? Vista?
Wallpaper mode only works with DirectX, and you might need to use Administrator account.

ktonlai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ktonlai » 03 Oct 2008 15:00

OS is windows xp.

and I'm the admin.

ktonlai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ktonlai » 03 Oct 2008 15:01

can the directx play ANY type of video files?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Oct 2008 18:34

Yes. Disable overlay video and see if DirectX then displays something.
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... _output.3F

ktonlai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ktonlai » 03 Oct 2008 18:53

ok sweet. It can play in direct x mode and the wallpaper option is now OPEN!

so i played the video, clicked the wallpaper option.... and the wallappaer is still black... the video is still playing inside the vlc player though.

ktonlai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ktonlai » 04 Oct 2008 02:52

soooo what am i doing wrong?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Oct 2008 14:46

If you get black when DirectX+overlay, you might have to update your display adapter drivers.

T70MkIII
New Cone
New Cone

Postby T70MkIII » 10 Oct 2008 13:34

Hi VLC Help

I followed your advice to Ktonlai and managed to get a .mpg to play on my desktop, but the clip will only play once (and the screen then goes black after flashing on my old desktop background picture) even though the player is set to loop, and keeps doing so in the background.

I am using directx output. I note you've mentioned directx output +overlay, but I can't find anything that resembles 'overlay' to untick or change. I'm using the latest player version (downloaded tonight) and Vista Home Premium. I have disabled sidebar.

Any ideas?

Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Oct 2008 15:37

Overlay video output.

T70MkIII
New Cone
New Cone

Postby T70MkIII » 11 Oct 2008 01:13

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately ticking or unticking video overlay didn't make any difference to my problem.

I have found that if I have VLC open on the screen, the desktop wallpaper will keep looping just fine. It's only when I minimize VLC that the desktop wallpaper finishes playing that particular instance of the file, and then goes black. Bringing VLC back up after this does not cause the desktop to start playing the loops again; it stays blank. Works fine if I exit VLC and start again.

The way I've got VLC set, it starts at the size of the resolution of the clip. I can drag the frame smaller, but it resizes when the next loop starts. Is there a way to keep it small permanently? I could live with this if I can't solve the dexktop going black problem.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Oct 2008 22:02

If you only use one video, have you tried loop A->B option?

T70MkIII
New Cone
New Cone

Postby T70MkIII » 17 Oct 2008 12:04

Thanks - I'll give that a try.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”