Dropping Streams and reconnecting with VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jmoore
New Cone
New Cone

Dropping Streams and reconnecting with VLC

Postby jmoore » 13 Aug 2008 22:16

I am using VLC to connect to a video stream (RTP over UDP) from an Ethernet Camera. I have a couple of questions based on VLC's behavior when the video link drops out from time to time. If the dropout is short (1 - 10 seconds), VLC will pick the transmission up and commence with the video. For longer outtages, however, VLC appears to "timeout" and needs to be re-connected to the Ethernet Camera before displaying video.

This Ethernet Camera is used as a nose cam for a UAV, so any downtime is bad.

My Questions:
1. What does VLC actually do when connecting to this stream? Does it communicate with the host at all? The RF link in our application is a one-way transmission, so we cannot have traffic going up.

2. Is there any way to set VLC to attempt to re-connect indefinitely to the host if the link drops out? We've tried making the connection as a single member in a play list and choosing "repeat all" on the play list, but VLC will still hang ~20% of the time for disconnects.

The RF Link has been buggy and I'm trying to rule out VLC as a contributing factor (question 1), and optimize uptime on the player (question 2). If anyone could lend some insight on these points, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Dropping Streams and reconnecting with VLC

Postby VLC_help » 14 Aug 2008 16:40

I t might be better if you ask 1. from mailing list or dive into the VLC source codes.

If playlist repeat doesn't work, you might want to try add vlc://pause: to second entry with little delay and see if that helps.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”