new version 0.8.6f (?) on majorgeeks.com...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mlongue1
New Cone
New Cone

new version 0.8.6f (?) on majorgeeks.com...

Postby mlongue1 » 03 Apr 2008 00:24

majorgeeks.com is offering a download of VLC version 0.8.6f on it's site today... http://www.majorgeeks.com/VLC_media_player_d4674.html ... says it is for all Win versions... is this legit, or what?... I downloaded it, and it checked out okay with Norton Corp. maxed out, but that would be the case if there was a brand new malware/worm/virus/trojan/bad smell/etc. out there, that has no previous footprint... I am on a pc in a lab here at school, so I am not going to try to install it, not until I get home later on tonight (tomorrow?)... anybody know anything about this?...

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: new version 0.8.6f (?) on majorgeeks.com...

Postby Arite » 03 Apr 2008 00:37

VLC 0.8.6f, as far as I know, has not been officially released yet. Here is the changelog (from here):

Code: Select all

Changes between 0.8.6e and 0.8.6f (not-yet-released): ----------------------------------------------------- Security updates: * Fix subtitle buffer overflow * Fix Real RTSP code execution problem (CVE-2008-0073) * Fix cinepak integer overflow Various bugfixes: * mozilla plugin registers a usable range of mimetypes on OSX
It can however be found in the FTP archive here:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.6f/

That may or may not be the final build.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

mlongue1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mlongue1 » 03 Apr 2008 00:49

Thanks, Arite, for the quick reply... I was updating all of my AV files today, for my customers, and after I downloaded the latest Ad-Aware version from majorgeeks.com, I looked down the front page of majorgeeks and there was vlc version 0.8.6f, so I checked the VLC site and saw it was not out yet... I can wait for the official release, 0.8.6e is working great right now... so have a great day/week/weekend, looking forward to more VLC, and keep up the great work!!!...

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 03 Apr 2008 00:51

Yes, I would wait for the final release - an announcement on the main site or here on the forums will be made when it is officially released.

Have a great day/week/weekend too :D.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 03 Apr 2008 01:03

VLC 0.8.6f has been released officially a few minutes ago. Some sites deeplink to (or even worse download and host copies of) files they happen to find on the main FTP but this does not make it final even if it's on the official FTP and in a folder name with an official name without test.. As packages are being prepared for distribution (mirror sites for downloads) problems can still pop up and packages can be pulled/replaced at the last minute. Sites using the initial versions run the risk of distributing broken packages.

As a general rule of thumb, when there are files on FTP we are getting close to a release but the files are not 100% ready until the announcement on the main site says so.. and it just did!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”