VLC Rocks! But Auto Detect Black Bars Makes Picture jUMp

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Tonysocola
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Rocks! But Auto Detect Black Bars Makes Picture jUMp

Postby Tonysocola » 22 Feb 2008 14:40

Hi Peeps,
I'd first like to say VLC is pretty amazing! I've been using Dscaler with a projector and 2x anamorphic lens which produces a cinemascope (just over, 2.66:1) picture from a 4:3 projector. This makes pincushion distortion and after much searching the only thing that I've found to correct it without highly expensive software or hardware is VLC!
We're not worthy!
OpenGL, cylinder with a -15.000 radius, makes the picture perfectly straight top and bottom, amazing.
The only problem is if I select auto detect black bars the picture occasionally jumps out of cropping, goes fullscreen for a split second and then goes back. I can't figure out how to set a crop pixel size for 2.35:1 to remove the bars, crop aspect ratio just overides the monitor pixel aspect ratio. I get this message:

main error: cannot delete object (445, (null)) with a parent
main debug: overriding monitor pixel aspect-ratio: 2:1
main debug: new aspect-ratio 1:1, sample aspect-ratio 43:72
main debug: window size: 720x720
main debug: cropping picture 720x430 to 0,0,720x430
main debug: looking for video output module: 6 candidates
opengl debug: Texture size: 1024x512
main debug: looking for opengl provider module: 1 candidate
glwin32 debug: creating DirectXEventThread
main debug: waiting for thread completion
glwin32 debug: DirectXCreateWindow
main debug: overriding monitor pixel aspect-ratio: 2:1
main debug: new aspect-ratio 1:1, sample aspect-ratio 43:72

and this:

main debug: looking for chroma module: 9 candidates
main debug: using chroma module "i420_rgb"
main debug: indirect render, mapping render pictures 0-7 to system pictures 1-8
main debug: thread 5592 (video output) created at priority 1 (video_output/video_output.c:463)
main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (40167)
main warning: buffer is 40041 late, triggering upsampling
main warning: resampling stopped after 11047000 usec (drift: 292)

My XGAprojector and lens cost me £130 off ebay so to get free geometry correction with a lil' help from my new VLC friends :D as opposed to $2,000 for an anyplace scaler, well I would be in your debt.

Regards Tony

cocquebert
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC Rocks! But Auto Detect Black Bars Makes Picture jUMp

Postby cocquebert » 22 Feb 2008 16:48

Ok, I'm the main developper of OpenGL geometry correction and autocrop detection (based on DScaler algo, but without stats ...).

Jumps is the normal behaviour with this filter: when VLC detect a change in the ratio of movie, it destroys window an creates a new with the good ratio ... No way to change this "bug" ...

BUT

You can select many options in the "Crop video filter" menu (with "advanced options" checked in "Preferences") to adjust auto-detection (same options like Dscaler ;-).

BTW, you can also uncheck "Automatic cropping" option and set "Manual ratio" at the good ratio (x1000) like 2350 for a 2:35:1 movie.

I developed a Hotkeys system to switch quickly between pre-defined ratios & automatic detection, but VLC team is not very interested by integration ... Send me a mail at cedric.cocquebert@supelec.fr if you want source or binaries for this feature.

Best regards.

Tonysocola
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Rocks! But Auto Detect Black Bars Makes Picture jUMp

Postby Tonysocola » 22 Feb 2008 18:19

Cedric!

If I had to describe you as a star, it would be shining! You're the dude I read about on AVS in an edge blending topic, it's your version of VLC I'm using off the hyperlink on that page as the main one is missing the panaramix (I wish 2 pj's) and more importantly the advanced options in the OpenGL mode.

I'd like to thankyou for writing a top bit of software and doing such a thing freely, I promise to let the next driver that is waiting at a junction out!

Can I pick your quad core again? I have a fresh XP pro install, 3.4 pentium, 2gb RAM, Radeon 9550 256mb gcard (I know ATI, I didn't know at the time). I have a tiny framerate problem, all these are checked:
Embedded video
Drop late frames
Skip frames
Overlay video
I have triple z buffering enabled and use my card to deinterlace as opposed to VLC. Could it just be ATI? Or am i missing something?

Either way have you seen a Welshman dance? I mean really dance, 'cause I be grooving to the lack of jUMp boyo!
I'll mail you about the hotkeys, thanks again for opening my eyes, I just thought you had to bang the rocks together.

Regards Tony

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”