Desktop Capture, Broadcast

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
PuG
New Cone
New Cone

Desktop Capture, Broadcast

Postby PuG » 22 Jan 2008 14:46

Hi, been using VideoLAN for last couple of years on both Windows & Linux - most excellent program!

Heres what im trying to do, every fortnightly we hold league races for GTR2 Power & Glory, and would like to capture and then broadcast the event to a website for further public viewing realtime.

Now ive never setup a broadcast using VideoLan, and so far have been trying to do so from the VLC Control GUI.

From searching the forums ive found using a command screen: should capture the desktop, and if I do run it without any further inputs it will display within VLC (local playback?) as a live desktop.

If I then try and enter the command screen: for the input via the Controller, and transcode to a mp4 file on the output (just for testing) it appears to only take one picture and no other frames on playback.

I can't seen to find any other posts on the subject, and don't really understand VLC script.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards!

PuG
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Desktop Capture, Broadcast

Postby PuG » 23 Jan 2008 09:19

no one, anyone? unless theirs other software that can do it.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jan 2008 11:41

If you want realtime capture with high resolution on same machine you are going to play that game then forget it. It eats too much CPU and bandwidth so your gaming experience will be very laggy.

You don't need any scripting skills for streaming.
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic259354.html
use screen and common sense and you should be able to stream your desktop (but it won't very pleasant experience).

PuG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PuG » 23 Jan 2008 12:01

It will be captured on a spectators PC who won't be racing themselfs.. bandwidth may be issue though depending on the transcoding. either way im running a quadcore so I would just set it to use another thread.

Useful link! shame thats not posted somewhere more easy to find on the site - will try it later.

Regards,

PuG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PuG » 23 Jan 2008 12:54

Ive managed to setup a desktop stream and have it transcode for the most part - the only issues im having is the transcoded video remains full screen size and has a suggested data rate of 997kb/s when opened.

screen:// :screen-size="320x240" :duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=asf,dst=:8452}} :sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,vb=32,scale=1}

I don't think screen-size is correct as all I did was to rename from dshow - or can't you resize whilst transcoding?

or...

screen:// :sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,vb=32,width=320,height=240,fps=10}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=asf,dst=:8452}}

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”