VLC crashes when navigating through playlist?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Menno
New Cone
New Cone

VLC crashes when navigating through playlist?

Postby Menno » 12 Dec 2007 12:54

Hey there,

I recently started building a huge playlist of music but when playing it using VLC Player, the program just crashes every now and then. It usually happens when I try to nagivate through the list using the 'Next playlist item' and 'Previous playlist item' buttons, but every now and then it happens 'out of the blue' as well.

Windows then gives the usual "send a complaint" pop-up and VLC keeps playing my music, it just becomes inaccessible as in I can no longer control the playlist.

I really wish I could be more specific but this really is all that happens. I've used the search button to find similar topics but most problems concerning VLC crashes are way more specific than mine so I figured making this topic would be the best solution. If anyone has an idea as to what might fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Menno

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Windows XP Service Pack 2, VLC 0.8.6.d

silverdragon
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC crashes when navigating through playlist?

Postby silverdragon » 12 Dec 2007 15:15

i don't know much about vlc(kinda new) but a few weeks ago i was using the play list function for a video play list it kept crashing i found that there was a file it on the list that seemed to be crashing it. so what i did was edit the play list into hales to narrow the file down. sorry i cant be of more help if this doesn't work maybe someone else knows more.

silverdragon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby silverdragon » 12 Dec 2007 15:47

read this in a different topic don't know if it applies for you but you might want to try it = \
If you have created a long playlist with lots of files try shutting off the prefetch function in Preferences, Playlist "Automatically preparse files"
but what do i know im just a nub :D :oops:

Aethred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aethred » 26 Mar 2020 23:00

read this in a different topic don't know if it applies for you but you might want to try it = \
If you have created a long playlist with lots of files try shutting off the prefetch function in Preferences, Playlist "Automatically preparse files"
what do i know im just a nub :D :oops:
Necroing a beyond ancient thread but if anyone is still searching for this, this was the right fix in my case, thank you silverdragon!

arcadezyra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby arcadezyra » 15 Oct 2020 18:00

I've also come here to echo the last necro offender and say this also solved my problem. figure it's not the worst thing in the world to keep something like this with recent posts that still maintain it's relevance. if i'm wrong that's fine- other than that i'd like to say thank you to silverdragon. was very irritating to have my vlc exit at random. you da best

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”