Opening .wmv's in Firefox.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ad00d
New Cone
New Cone

Opening .wmv's in Firefox.

Postby ad00d » 17 Oct 2007 02:47

How can I set VLC as the default player for wmv files? I use Firefox and I want VLC to be the default handler. I seem to have a problem doing so because when I click a link to a .wmv it gives me a blank page instead of opening automatically.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Opening .wmv's in Firefox.

Postby VLC_help » 17 Oct 2007 16:05

You have installed the VLC plugin for Firefox?

hedleylester
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Opening .wmv's in Firefox.

Postby hedleylester » 18 Oct 2007 07:20

I have a similar problem. I am trying to view a Microsoft video using VLC media player via Firefox under XP.

The URL for the stream is: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... 04_low.asx

In IE6 it works fine: I just click on the link (Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP/Server 2003 Low Bandwidth) in the previous page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... ideos.mspx) that points at the URL above, and the standard dialogue asks me if I want to open or save the file, and correctly identifying that I have VLC player set as the default program to open an asx file.

When I click on 'Open', VLC player is loaded and after a short delay the video ([url]mms://wm.microsoft.com/ms/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/buzzbee04_low.wmv[/url]) plays without incident.

However, when I click on the same link in FF, absolutely nothing visible or audible happens at all - even if VLC is already open.

Following VLC_help's advice, I looked to see if he VLC plugin for Firefox was installed. The only place I could find was Tool->add-ons, but this did not list it, so I reinstalled it from vlc-0.8.6c-win32.exe (answering 'No' to the question "Do you want to remove the previous version before installing . . .?" in the install dialogue but checking only "Mozzilla plugin" in the "Choose components" dialogue). However, after this operation I can still see no reference to the VLC plugin on the Tools -> add-ons window in Firefox - even after reloading FF.

I have also followed Arite's advice at: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41178&p=128796&hilit=mms#p128389, and checked "Force selection of all streams" in MMS access module - but also to no avail.

This looks like a failure of Firefox, or the plugin, or the plugin's installation program, not of VLC, because VLC plays the video fine from another browser.

XP SP2
Firefox: 2.0.0.7

Thanks for any help and I hope this might shed some light on ad00d's problem.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”