dark picture. used to work fine

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dingodec
New Cone
New Cone

dark picture. used to work fine

Postby dingodec » 11 Jul 2007 14:35

VLC picture has become dark somehow for me. It used to work fine but then a few days ago i tried playing a file and the video was very dark. Then i tried files i had played before and they too had become dark. Other media players work fine with bright pictures. Ive tryed adjusting the brightness in VLC but the picture still stays darkish or then becomes too white.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: dark picture. used to work fine

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jul 2007 15:02

Reset your preferences and cache.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

dingodec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dingodec » 11 Jul 2007 17:34

i did that when installing the new version but still no better. only thing that helped a bit was turning the brightness up (atleast makes it so you can see something if the video has something pretty dark like scenes at night) but its still not the same as it used to be.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 11 Jul 2007 17:44

Sometimes this is associated with video output modules; try a different one, the recommend one is "DirectX video output".

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 11 Jul 2007 17:47

you ight also want to try some other video output modes.

As I see that other media players work fine, there is no problem with DirectX. but to be on the safer side, update/reinstall all drivers.
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

dingodec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dingodec » 11 Jul 2007 19:50

Sometimes this is associated with video output modules; try a different one, the recommend one is "DirectX video output".
tried this but didnt help. I guess ill have to try installing new drivers. The weird thing is VLC used to work just fine before and seems as if some "darken" mode or something is on when i play the files (they are watchable if i manually turn brightness up so i can actually see the picture but still that makes the quality pretty bad since you can see its been brightened manually). Are there any other suggestions on what i might try to fix this problem?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 11 Jul 2007 20:52

When you delete the preferences and cache it's probably best to do this through the vlc Application data folder (C:\Documents and Setting\Use (you)\Application Data ("Show hidden files and folders")\vlc. Delete the entire "vlc" folder). Report back if this works, if not then we'll see what else can be done to fix the problem.

dingodec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dingodec » 11 Jul 2007 23:37

Tried it but didnt help. I also noticed that when I take a snapshot the picture I get has good quality and normal lighting unlike the video. Hope this helps in figuring out what could be wrong.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jul 2007 00:04

Change output modules in preferneces, video
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 12 Jul 2007 00:48

Change output modules in preferneces, video
already suggested and tried above.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Jul 2007 07:47

When using DirectX Vlc picks up the the Video cards Overlay settings. You can adjust the Brightness, color, contrast, etc from there and all players should be the same. Be for you start, it would be smart to reset your video card for OpenGL, Color, Direct3D and Overlay using the utilities for the card.

dingodec
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dingodec » 12 Jul 2007 14:13

I adjusted the brightness for video using Nvidia control panel and was able to get the image better than any other way before. This only adjusted the image for VLC which is good so the image in other players (which was fine) was not effected. Its pretty close to how it used to be before so should be fine for now. Thanks for all your help.

timroberts
New Cone
New Cone

Postby timroberts » 23 Jul 2007 22:20

This worked for me, dead easy to do and no need to reinstall video drivers and all that hassle:

Right click on the NVIDIA icon in systems tray.
Goto Custom colour settings.
Select 'restore hardware defaults'

attackula
New Cone
New Cone

Postby attackula » 23 Aug 2007 18:53

I'm having the identical problem, but I think it's a codec issue and I wonder if anyone wants to tackle it.

I'm using vlc-0.8.6c on WinXP with an NVIDIA graphics card. All of a sudden, videos that used to play fine are now much darker. This first happened with some Divx files, so I downloaded Divx player and they played fine in there. However, this effect started propagating to Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player, who would sometimes play videos dark, sometimes not. I've now run into files that appear dark in Divx Player and VLC, or sometimes both, or sometimes neither. What's most mysterious about this, however, is that once a video appears dark in both VLC and Divx Player, reopening the file in VLC sometimes produces the correct bright video! This is, as far as I can tell, non-deterministic, so I just have to try all videos in VLC, then Divx, then VLC in hopes of getting a bright video...

Any ideas? I've uninstalled Divx Player and VLC (cleared preferences and cache) and then reinstalled VLC to no avail. This little ritual I have is workable, but I'd love to know what's going wrong...

snoopyln
New Cone
New Cone

Postby snoopyln » 25 Aug 2007 21:32

i think i have the same problem, everything is really dark and all u can see are remnants of the picture and its like red or blue?

help me too plz! =(

madkat3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby madkat3 » 25 Aug 2009 15:56

Wow, I know this was last posted in quite a while ago, but I had(have) the same problem.

I've found that if I go into Nvidia Control panel, select "Ajust video color settings" from the side-links, and on "Standard" tab, check off "Apply these settings to all video technologies", it seems to fix the issue, if only temporarily.

As long as the brightness, contrass, hue, etc. are all what was originally set, this will override, most likely the codec's own, settings in vlc. (well it doesn't have to be "default settings" to override this, just that it's the recommended settings for a good picture) I'm not sure exactly if it is the codec or what, but I thought maybe someone will find this information more useful.

NOTE: It's odd, vlc defaults back to the original settings if you don't open Nvidia Control Panel when starting a new file in VLC.

IE, for every file you open in VLC, you have to open the nvidia control panel right after and then close it again right away if you don't actually want it open...just long enough for it to override the (/VLC's?) default settings.

Bendit
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bendit » 25 Aug 2009 18:14

reset your nVidia drivers preferences, especially overlay settings. It's in your video drivers, not related to VLC.
-=Plus vite, ça n'aurait pas été raisonnable!=-

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”