Help with repairing a downloaded file?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
catchsumwaves
New Cone
New Cone

Help with repairing a downloaded file?

Postby catchsumwaves » 15 May 2007 05:41

Hi im new to this forum and was trying to figure out how to get VLC to repair a avi file i have downloaded. VLC recognize once that a file needed to be repaired but now it doesn't. Please help thanks...

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 May 2007 06:10

VLC will recognize and rebuild a bad or incomplete index for an AVI file but it does NOT repair the file.

catchsumwaves
New Cone
New Cone

Mahalo Nui

Postby catchsumwaves » 18 May 2007 17:35

Ok, mahalo for the clarification. I guess my question is how do i get VLC to recognize the index? I know the first time it recognized/played fine then after nada... Why does it now not recognize/play? Sorry for the redundancy. Well thanks for answering in advance.

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 18 May 2007 19:52

Try to fix the file with DivFix.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 May 2007 19:52

Except for Torrents, often people try to play incomplete files and this will trigger the repair screen. Once the file is complete, in most cases the screen will not appear again.

Assuming the file is (was) complete when you first tried it, try running chkdsk <drive>: /f and then defragment the drive.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”