Pause doesn't response immediately

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 15 May 2007 00:02

I am new to VLC. Every time I click on the pause button or the space bar, it takes about 5 secs before pause is activated. Does anyone know how to make pause react immediately?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 May 2007 02:00

Do you have a very slow (old) machine???

Have you changed the Buffer size?

Try deleting VLC's preferences folder. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC. Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 15 May 2007 03:37

Thanks for your reply. Mine is a Dual CPU (1.83GHz) Fujitsu LifeBook with 2GB memory which I got in Feb.

VLC contained about 350k of data which I have deleted, but the problem remains.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Pause doesn't respond immediately

Postby Vince_Ong » 15 May 2007 03:40

How do I change buffer size?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 May 2007 04:46

Well, It's not an old slow machine! 8) But as a reminder, most all encoders and decoders will only use 1 core. So this will be a problem with High Definition files over 480p. Other than this there really shouldn't be any problems.

By increasing the buffer time, increases the pause and start times, which are normally instantaneous. Decreasing the buffer can cause issues in syncing audio and video.

1. Try erasing the preferences directory. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

2. The buffer is shown as cache time. From the Open File menu it can be seen an adjusted. See if reducing the default changes anything for you.

My guess is audio drivers response time to get and give sync. If there is a newer set of drivers try them.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 15 May 2007 06:40

Thanks for your reply once again. I have already done suggestion #1, but it doesn't work.

As for suggestion #2, the "caching" box is not ticked.

I notice that the time counter will count for 5 secs before the movie starts. And when I press pause, the time counter will stop immediately, but the movie will play on for another 5 secs. When I release pause, the time counter will count for 5 secs before the movie continues.

This time delay is not a constant, it varies from 0.5 sec to 2 secs for *.wmv, and 4 to 5 secs for *.mpg. Doesn't seem to be related to the resolution of the video.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 May 2007 08:28

1. You will need to tick the caching box to lower the time.

2. I wouldn't suspect resolution of the video would have anything to do with the issue.

3. I would suspect that various formats may result in a difference to the issue.

4. Try Upgrading your audio drivers.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 18 May 2007 10:49

Frankly, I am quite surprised that no one else has this problem. Real player and Windows media player do not have this problem, so it is probably not due to the video drivers.

I suspect that it is most probably due to the codecs. How do I change the settings for the *.mpg codecs.

Also, my VLC doesn't play *.rm files. How do I fix this?

Thanks.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 May 2007 11:02

This most likely is NOT a Video driver issue. It IS most likely a Audio driver issue and revolves around SYNC.

However, I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and asking for you to do specific things and I need feed back to these specific things.

Also you are correct. To the best of my knowledge this issue has NOT come up here before. Making it more likely it is a machine (hardware) related issue.

VLC is NOT a Direct Show player as it uses it's own Libraries to decode and encode media files. Also it is a packet based player capable of streaming media files. These facts make it different than any other player and the problems and solutions will also be different.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 18 May 2007 11:14

Sorry for not giving you the feedback. Here it is:

1. You will need to tick the caching box to lower the time.

Yes, I have done this and put the time as zero. Didn't solve the problem.

3. I would suspect that various formats may result in a difference to the issue.

This is exactly as mentioned in my post of Tue May 15, 2007 4:40 am. What can I do about this?

4. Try Upgrading your audio drivers.

Sorry, I thought you meant video drivers. Will look for the upgrade and let you know.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 18 May 2007 11:49

It won't go to 0 so that's not telling me anything. In fact it should stop working either audio or video when you move it to low. I said try reducing the cache. If it did nothing you have some other kind of problems than discussed thus far. :P

I talked about AUDIO DRIVERS in all most all of my posts as being the most likely problem.

I also agreed with you that the time would probably vary with the format.

Crumbles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Crumbles » 20 May 2007 21:22

I have this same issue too. I just figured it was a thing with VLC. I have never, on any machine, seen VLC pause the exact second I hit it.

I'm surprised to hear that others _don't_ have this issue.

It's pretty close with MP3's, but it's at least 1.5 to a 2 second delay with video. Pretty annoying. I just got over it since there are many other things that are quirky about VLC. Like the scroll bar not going where you click on the seek area, or how the volume control is pretty lame. Also, I hate how the player just SHUTS down at the end of the movie. So, if I click near the end of the video, and the seeker just decides to go to the end of the movie, the player just shuts off, and I have to load the video again.

Anyway, even with these complaints I still use it over others.

Now that I'm done venting. You're not alone. I have the delay of death pause issue as well. (as do all my friends, and my machine at work too.)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 May 2007 23:25

When you pause the buffer clears and when you start again it refills. But a buffer to hold 1.5 to 2 seconds would be more memory than anyone could possibly have on there machine. This indicates some other problem with YOUR machine. Most likely is audio drivers.

Crumbles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Crumbles » 21 May 2007 00:01

When you pause the buffer clears and when you start again it refills. But a buffer to hold 1.5 to 2 seconds would be more memory than anyone could possibly have on there machine. This indicates some other problem with YOUR machine. Most likely is audio drivers.
right. It just happens to be every machine that I've seen VLC installed on.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 May 2007 00:05

You must be the most unlucky person I have ever run across. I have installed VLC on lots of machines and never seen the issue you describe, except where I have trouble with audio drivers which also shows up in other ways.

Crumbles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Crumbles » 21 May 2007 02:29

You must be the most unlucky person I have ever run across. I have installed VLC on lots of machines and never seen the issue you describe, except where I have trouble with audio drivers which also shows up in other ways.
Yea, that's more likely what it is. I'm unlucky. Not a problem with VLC in anyway.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 May 2007 03:41

Starting with VLC 0.8.4 the DirectX module was rebuilt to be more compatible with 9c. From this time VLC forces Microsoft's recommendation of updating you audio and video drivers after installing DirectX 9c or installing SP1 for XP of which DirectX 9c was included. Also staying current with DirectX runtime wouldn't hurt. These are available from Microsoft about every 3 months and are not automatic.

The drivers in most cases should carry a date later than Oct. 04

There are a few problematic vendors and products. Realtek ac97 and Creative Labs Audigy, but both of these have drivers that do work with VLC. Try doing a search here if you have either of these devices for a more specific resolve.

A few people come here with the attitude that VLC must be the problem if other players do NOT display the problem or issue. VLC is not like other players.

1. It uses its own libraries to decode and encode media files.
2. It is a packet based player designed to stream media.
3. It has the lowest CPU and memory use of all other players that use DirectX.

Because of these facts the problems and issues will differ form other media players.

BTW VLC is free and no one is forcing you to use it.

Crumbles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Crumbles » 21 May 2007 03:54

BTW VLC is free and no one is forcing you to use it.
Anyway, even with these complaints I still use it over others.
Oh, no kidding. I thought someone else was forcing me to use it. For a second there I thought it was me that said I like it anyway despite its flaws.

BTW, just because it's free, doesn't mean it can't be made better.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 May 2007 04:15

In a number of threads here I have brought up VLC's use of buffering and suggested that there may be ways to improve performance through the use of alternative buffering methods.

But it is difficult to believe that your issue is the use of FIFOs. The only thing that remotely comes to mind is that your memory is way low and Windows is triggering a swap file. Then your time criteria may be realistic, but to some degree this also depends on the speed of your hardware.

Zapley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zapley » 21 May 2007 12:56

I have been this same little but annoying problem too with VLC in Windows XP Pro (SP2 installed) and Kubuntu Linux 7.04. When pressing pause movie goes playing a little before stop. The delay is bigger when I watch DVD movies and smaller when watching Divx. Same problem appear also my father's PC (Win XP Pro, Duron 800 MHz, 512 MB, 60 GB HDD).

With any other media players like KMPlayer, BSplayer or PowerDVD pause comes immediately when pressing the key.

My computer is Athlon 64 3000+, Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLi mainboard, 1 GB, 160 GB HDD, GeForfce 6600GT graphic accelerator.

Crumbles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Crumbles » 21 May 2007 13:22

I have been this same little but annoying problem too with VLC in Windows XP Pro (SP2 installed) and Kubuntu Linux 7.04....My computer is Athlon 64 3000+, Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLi mainboard, 1 GB, 160 GB HDD, GeForfce 6600GT graphic accelerator.
Sorry, it's not VLC. You need a new computer.

Also, you are just unlucky that it's happening in two different environments.
The only thing that remotely comes to mind is that your memory is way low and Windows is triggering a swap file. Then your time criteria may be realistic, but to some degree this also depends on the speed of your hardware.
Sorry, but I think my hardware is just fine.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 May 2007 21:23

It is normal for there to be a slight delay when going to pause and then going to play as the buffers empty and fill. I have never seen or heard about the issues described in this post. Obviously your hardware should be more than capable of doing the job. However, this does still not rule out drivers.

Try deleting VLC's preferences folder so that you start from the defaults, just in case you have changed something that just doesn't work on your machine. Then I would download the latest DirectX runtime from Microsoft and look for audio drivers.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 28 May 2007 06:09

I have just found out that my audio driver is the latest. It is:

Realtek HD Audio, Version: 5.10.0.5200

Any other suggestions?

Btw, the main feature I like about VLC over Real player is its ability to play videos at different speeds. I wonder whether the other players that you mentioned, i.e., KMPlayer, BSplayer or PowerDVD can do this.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 May 2007 12:53

I have just found out that my audio driver is the latest. It is:

Realtek HD Audio, Version: 5.10.0.5200

Any other suggestions?

Btw, the main feature I like about VLC over Real player is its ability to play videos at different speeds. I wonder whether the other players that you mentioned, i.e., KMPlayer, BSplayer or PowerDVD can do this.
YES! It is known that the later drivers for Realtek don't work properly! You might do a search here to find out which drivers others have found that do work.

Vince_Ong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vince_Ong » 29 May 2007 11:53

I guess I will just have to wait for newer versions of VLC that will work properly with Realtek drivers.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”