VLC Tanks graphics driver

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
roxer2b
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Tanks graphics driver

Postby roxer2b » 27 Apr 2007 10:16

Im sitting here for the eleventieth billionth time with a fresh XP install, and since the owner of the computer wanted VLC installed so I abliged.
Well, previously to installing VLC, everything worked, well, if not smooth, then as expected.
After having installed VLC, trying to play any video tanks the graphics driver. It slows down to a crawl, so that you can see the order of things being rendered, and after a few seconds, 5-10 the driver restarts, and well, it tanks again. And it seems that there is one of the codecs that is doing it, since every media player trying to play videos is now tanking the graphics driver.

So, how do I purge everything and anything VLC put on the system? The uninstaller doesnt do it.
And I really dont feel like doing a whole other reinstall of windows. 3 times this week kinda fills my quota.

And oh yeah, I grabbed it from http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
twice, to make sure it wasnt a broken download

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Apr 2007 11:44

VLC doesn't install anything on the system. You can grab the zip or 7z file form the web site and it will work as a stand alone. The installer just forms associations and shortcuts for convenience.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”