Sound choppy after Windows automatic update

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mharrison
New Cone
New Cone

Sound choppy after Windows automatic update

Postby mharrison » 04 Apr 2007 21:10

Last night my PC installed some automatic updates and rebooted itself. Since this morning, VLC has not been playing back videos correctly, the video is fine but the audio is choppy/stuttering. I have not installed anything new since last night when it was working fine. The only things that installed were the Windows update (I have no idea what it installed) and a Java update. I've tried Xvid, MPG, WMV files and they all have the same choppy audio. I can play back these files properly in other players like Windows Media Player or WinDVD with no problem. For some reason only VLC has been affected. Any ideas? I tried to download and reinstall the latest version, to no avail.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 Apr 2007 21:53

I got the same updates yesterday and VLC is unaffected. Except that the Java update came in 3/3/07

Try erasing the preferences directory. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

mharrison
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mharrison » 04 Apr 2007 23:55

I just tried that and it didn't fix it.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Apr 2007 11:01

Try running a DirectX diagnostic.

You could also try the older method of addressing the audio card in Preferences, Audio, Output modules from the pull down choose "Win32 waveOut extension output" then press Save and close the player.

DAC324
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Sound choppy after Windows automatic update

Postby DAC324 » 03 May 2009 15:03

Hello,

I experienced the same problem. Switching audio output from DirectX to Win32 WaveOut seems to fix it.
Strange enough that the other players do not have these problems, however.

Kind regards,

DAC324

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”