Is windows 98 good enough to receive shoutcast TV?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Is windows 98 good enough to receive shoutcast TV?

Postby rhodeye » 21 Mar 2007 03:45

I can get very few of the shoutcast TV sites. Is windows 98 too old an OS to see these sites? Or could it be my emachine Etower 400idx does not have sufficient system requirements. I added memory to it so it has 160 MB. On some sights the video and audio start to come on but then stop running. On some the audio comes on (sometimes choppy or intermitent) but not the video and sometimes when I choose a station the stations listed under it one by one keep turning to dark font without the one I chose coming on. Sometimes when I get the video it gets all distorted then comes back o.k. for awhile then distorts again. As I said though some but not many I can get. Any comment? Thank you

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Mar 2007 11:00

Sounds more like Internet issues to me.

What are the results of this test? http://www.dslreports.com/stest

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

rsults of speed test

Postby rhodeye » 21 Mar 2007 16:32

I'm close to 3 MB download and 128 upload

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Mar 2007 21:51

The next time you try to receive a stream and encounter problems run the test again. Superficially the system should work unless the Internet or server is congested.

Do you have issues playing local files?

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

how many stations to be expected?

Postby rhodeye » 22 Apr 2007 19:11

DJ or anyone else, I'm trying to get this player working as well as I can again. You people who run windows 98. How many shoutcast TV stations can you receive? I get barely any. I ran the speed test and its alright as I stated previously. Maybe this old(app. 1998) emachine Etower 400idx is just not quite capable. It has a 400 Mh pentium II processor (intel celeron). Maybe you need other specks to be able to answer. I could give you more if needed. Also, what do you mean by playing local files? i can get the short adult free videos but the dork.com videos come in with many hesitations with the video and audio. Those videos will stop for a quite often then in a short time come back on right where they left off. I don't know if this is what you mean by local files. Thank you

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: how many stations to be expected?

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Apr 2007 20:42

It has a 400 Mh pentium II processor (intel celeron).
It has nothing to do with Windows 98 IMO but I'm afraid a 400 MHz processor is a bit weak (BTW is it a PII or a Celeron ? A Celeron would be even worse) to handle live streaming, especially MPEG2 ones.

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

reply to last message

Postby rhodeye » 23 Apr 2007 00:29

On the front of the computer it says Intel celeron but when I checked in the control panel, System it says GenuineIntel, Pentium II(r) Processor, Intel MMX(TM) Technology. So how do I know which it is? See, I got this from a friend and he had it worked on at some repair shop so maybe he had a different processor put in but I don't think he asked what was done when It was worked on. Is it worth it to have a better processor installed? Also could you answer a few questions quickly? 1- What do you mean by live streaming and could I substitute the word video for the word streaming? 2-How do I know what type, MPEG2 or otherwise I am trying to view?, and 3- what did DJ mean by local files (is MPEG2 a video file type)? I'm trying to learn the proper terminology . Thanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 23 Apr 2007 02:16

I have played MPEG 2 NTSC files across a local network with with those old machines under Windows 9x. As long as the resolution was within the confines of broadcast TV there was never a problem. It seems to me that even XviD or DivX in 640x480 was still OK.

Windows reporting is more accurate than what is written on the box as the motherboard may have been changed.

To list all the meanings for words or phrases here would be prohibitive.

There is a difference between down loading and streaming across a network or Internet connection. If you have trouble streaming it using a URL, try down loading the file and play it off your hard drive.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”