laggy dvd movies

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

laggy dvd movies

Postby pontypool » 14 Mar 2007 16:18

Whether from the disk or a folder. they are very laggy. updated to latest version today, cleared cache and preferences, why is this happening? bs player runs fine with the same video. although i hate bs player, unable to make the display brighter.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 14 Mar 2007 16:41

Make sure video/sound card drivers are up to date, and what is the CPU usage when playing this?

pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pontypool » 14 Mar 2007 16:55

Yup video card drivers very new, only updated a few weeks ago. Ill check the cpu usage. but i cant see that being an issue on an amd 3200 64 bit processor.

BTW like i said it works on bsplayer and also media player classic, so surely it must be a video lan problem?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 14 Mar 2007 17:32

How does it work when using different video output modules?

pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pontypool » 14 Mar 2007 18:59

k it was on default for video output modules. and the cpu usage was comfortably at 15-25% i changed the codec to direct X video output but its the same difference. which one should i choose?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Mar 2007 19:08

Try playing a commercial DVD and note the CPU usage (use DirectX for VLC). If the usage is more than 1 or 2%, like 25 to 30% you are missing the AGP or PCIe motherboard chip set driver interface for your video card.

pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pontypool » 14 Mar 2007 19:23

No im not. i am using the nforce 4 drivers for my asus an8 sli-se currently 6.86 .

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Mar 2007 19:29

Your missing the AGP or PCIe motherboard driver has nothing to do with your Video cards drivers. It has to do with the slot (AGP or PCIe) the video card fits into being supported for video acceleration under Windows.

What was the result of the test?

pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pontypool » 14 Mar 2007 19:44

I know its not the same as my graphics card drivers. im talking about the chipset drivers (for my motherboard) in this case the Nforce 4 chipset? isnt that what you mean? anyway, thats current and up to date.
according to http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... uage=en-us

I even updated the audio and motherboard bios.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Mar 2007 19:46

OK! Try playing a commercial DVD and note your CPU usage. Post that here.

I realize that you think you have done this but it is real unclear that you did it properly. If the result is more than 1 or 2% you are:

1. Not using the DirectX output module.

2. Missing the AGP or PCIe driver or it is not working.

pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pontypool » 14 Mar 2007 22:31

Ok . so I turned of increase cpu priority in the options and selected direct X video output. Cpu usage fluctuates from 10 -22% for video lan and the video is still laggy.

I understand perfectly the difference between the drivers.

I have the up to date graphics card drivers NVIDIA 6800 gt PCI express

I have up to date CHIPSET drivers for my asus an8 sli - se MOTHERBOARD.
Yes those are the chipset drivers you mentioned no? go to the asus link i posted, you really couldnt go wrong, it says right underneath they are the chipset drivers and ive always had those installed since i reinstalled windows 3 weeks ago.
Mother board BIOS Installed .
AMD drivers Installed.

And yet video lan still lags when playing this video. Mpc , or bs player does not lag at all, perfectly smooth. Just admit that Video lan is buggy.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Mar 2007 07:36

Considering the results of the test you have 2 choices.

1. The chip set driver is corrupted or missing.

2. The DMA for the drive you are using is incorrect.

I suppose there could be a 3 but it seems unlikely considering the way you describe the issue and that is that you are overclocking the CPU or video card.

pontypool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pontypool » 16 Mar 2007 12:09

I suppose there could be a 3 but it seems unlikely considering the way you describe the issue and that is that you are overclocking the CPU or video card.
If you dont know what the issue is just refrain from replying with comments that imply I am stupid and i dont know what im doing, who do you think you are?
I know exactly what I am doing with computers, its video lan which is not working correctly not me. Like I already said.. bsplayer or mpc does not have any issues with these videos.
Also VLC has problems with the x264 codec too (unlike other players) why imply that buggy video lan is the users fault?

BTW something else your wrong about.. i am overclocking my graphics card using coolbits. seems you got everything wrong from the way you post.

Tombigel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tombigel » 16 Mar 2007 14:54

Why get angry when people are just trying to help?
The fact is that VLC plays DVDs smoothly on most machines, so the problem here is a mix of VLC and Your computer.

Don't forgret that VLC is using it's own libraries and not the system codecs, and some of them are less "forgiving" then the default ones.

Anyway, some questions -

Did you:
1. Test more then one DVD and it happened in all of them?
2. Tried to play it without the OC?
3. Tried all modules on Video -> Output Modules?
4. Tried to change the preferences in Video -> Output Modules -> DirectX?
5. Install the new drivers AFTER updating the BIOS to version 1006 or later (like stated on ASUS site)?

I'm no VLC or Nforce4 expert, but this is what I would have checked.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Mar 2007 20:36

If you dont know what the issue is just refrain from replying with comments that imply I am stupid and i dont know what im doing, who do you think you are?
I know exactly what I am doing with computers, its video lan which is not working correctly not me. Like I already said.. bsplayer or mpc does not have any issues with these videos.
Also VLC has problems with the x264 codec too (unlike other players) why imply that buggy video lan is the users fault?

BTW something else your wrong about.. i am overclocking my graphics card using coolbits. seems you got everything wrong from the way you post.
I'm the guy with a working machine and your the guy that wants to get yours working. More often than not the issue here is a corrupted chip set driver or a driver that is not meant for your particular chip set and is NOT being used which is like not having one to begin with.

I know this issue and all the variants or I wouldn't be here trying to help a rude and ignorant individual like you.

VLC is not like other players and never will be. It is a packet based player that uses it's own libraries to process media files and requires that DirectX 9c is installed with drivers that are 100% compatible with that version of DirectX. But I'm not aware of any Media player that will work correctly with out a proper chip set driver and you have proved through the tests that this driver is missing or not working properly. I have also provided a few other things you can check like DMA for all your drives or overclocking.

http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm contains some useful info...

BTW overclocked systems can cause timing issues between audio and video causing jitter, but I'm sure you already knew this. However, it should not drive up the CPU usage.

FYI I don't consider people to be stupid, just uninformed. Nor do I consider myself to be Gods gift to anything, just reasonably well educated. But this will be my last post on this topic as some users can't be helped for there own ineptness. :roll:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”