Audio vol only adjusts by 5 or 8: How to get finer adjust?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Audio vol only adjusts by 5 or 8: How to get finer adjust?

Postby j_hallgren » 12 Mar 2007 05:32

I'm still fairly new to VLC but am irritated by the volume control! I've needed to tweak it by a small amount but I can't seem to get it to adjust by any less than 5% via mouse or 7-8% via keys...I've tried setting "audio output volume step" to values from 1-20 and don't see any difference...so what am I missing?
(I'm on 0.8.6a)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Mar 2007 05:37

This is a step value where the lower the step the greater the change. Try 64 as it works for me. (default = 32)

j_hallgren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby j_hallgren » 12 Mar 2007 08:00

This is a step value where the lower the step the greater the change. Try 64 as it works for me. (default = 32)
Ok, I did some more playing around...but I think your "lower step=greater change" is wrong, as I finally found that having a value of 5 would allow me to change vol by approx 1% of total...and that value does not make any sense mathematically, as given that total range appears to be 0-1024 (and why is this not 0-100 like "normal" programs?), then 1% of 1024 should be 10, but using 10 as step value causes a change of 2%! That's just totally wrong...and illogical! And step value should also be a 1 to maybe 20 or 30 instead of that weird 0-1024 setup, as why would anyone set a step value that is more than a third of total?

And...this step value is only used by the CNTL+Up/Dwn keys and NOT the mouse adjustment which seems to be permanently fixed at a 5% value.

Also, the maximum value that I see for mouse adjustment seems to be 97%...I likely never have it that loud but it should max at 100%!

Speaking of maximums, when adjusting via keys, one can set max vol to 400%? :? :roll: So I can have my vol 4 times the maximum? Huh???

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Mar 2007 21:26

The step value may not make sense to you and your experience with 1 audio card. Various audio cards use differing step values and the idea is to match yours according to the manufactures specifications. I do agree that the tolerance (range) is probably to wide. There are also cards that this just seems totally out of whack, but there is always a setting that can be found that works.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”