Solution: Missing plugin files for Firefox in VLC ver 0.8.6a

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jornat
New Cone
New Cone

Solution: Missing plugin files for Firefox in VLC ver 0.8.6a

Postby jornat » 14 Feb 2007 23:26

Since I am new to VLC (which is a wonderful media player!) I spend a lot of time sorting out the following problem: I was running Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Win XP SP2 and installed VLC 0.8.6a. After installation I was unable to run VLC embedded in Firefox, although I had marked the "Install Firefox plugin" checkbox.

In the VLC Play How To (play-hoto-en.pdf) on p. 47 is mentioned a possible solution: “Quit Firefox or Mozilla. Copy the two files in VLC_Installation_folder\mozilla (usually C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\mozilla) to your mozilla plugins directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Mozilla\plugins or C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins). Restart Firefox or Mozilla.”

I was, however, unable to find both of these files (npvlc.dll and vlcintf.xpt); only npvlc.dll was available.

Now I downloaded VLC ver 0.8.5, and everything went as expected, including the installation of both files in the Mozilla Firefox\plugins directory.

Subsequently I examined the zip-version of VLC ver 0.8.6a installer and found no trace of vclintf.xpt. I suppose it somehow has been forgotten to include it!

Hope this helps someone and may save some time!

Jorn

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”