transcode for xbox 360

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
angrypanda
New Cone
New Cone

transcode for xbox 360

Postby angrypanda » 09 Feb 2007 12:17

Hi,

I need to transcode (is this the right expression?) some AVI video to WMV format to allow streaming from my PC to an Xbox 360. As you can probably guess, this is turning out to be a real bitch.

The AVI appears to have been created using k-lite codecs (I guess this is just a collection of freely available codecs), and packaged up as an AVI. Now VLC offers the ability to transcode input streams into windows media formats (WMV1/2/3). I have been able to create WMV that plays through WMP11 on my PC, and of course on VLC, but when I try to watch it streamed to my Xbox360, I get nothing - just some uninterpretable error code.

Has anyone got any experience with this? I notice that there is also something called TVersity, which might do the job - anyone tried this?

FYI: I converted to WMV3, using a dummy audio codec and ASF encapsulation. Not sure what the actual requirements for "genuine" WMV are - does anyone know?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope someone can help as this is driving me nuts.

Cheers, Jon

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”