How Do I Control VLC's "File Associations".

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jkd_ba
New Cone
New Cone

How Do I Control VLC's "File Associations".

Postby jkd_ba » 08 Feb 2007 19:05

Hi,

I can't seem to find any settings for controlling VLC's "file associations. After installing VLC which plays all content fine, I discovered my internet radio station (LuckySevenRadio), which uses the ".asx" format is now trying to be opened by VLC unsuccessfully (no audio).

Prior to my installation of VLC, Windows Media Player 11 would open upon choice of radio station and keep a running playlist. I get these symptoms on (2) different PCs' (home & office).

After going thru VLC's "Settings/Preferences" inorder to check "file associations", I could find no such reference. I've gone into Win XP's "Explorer/File Types" and changed the ".asx" association from VLC to Windows Media Player, rebooted, verified association was now Media Player but still no audio.

Uninstalling VLC fixed the problem, my browser (Firefox) now opens Media Player.

I'd hate to lose the use of VLC so I'm hoping one of you fine people might shed some light on what might be occuring here.

Thanks for any assistance provided,

jkd_ba

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Feb 2007 08:21

File associations are chosen by the user at the time of install only.

jkd_ba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jkd_ba » 09 Feb 2007 19:10

Many thanks DJ for your response!

I'll reinstall and see if I can discover where this occurs.

Peace,

jkd_ba

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Feb 2007 20:03

If you want another program to steal back the associations use that players utilities.

jkd_ba
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jkd_ba » 09 Feb 2007 22:26

DJ,

In trying to be brief in my post, I didn't mention that Media Players "file associations" were setup for grabbing ".asx" files along with Windows Explorer's "file associations", yet VLC kept grabbing control.

The good news though is that you were right on, that "file associations" for VLC is obtained thru the installation process. Have never seen that methodology before. To top it off, it was hidden from immediate view...you have to scroll down to find it.

Once, ".asx" was unticked in VLC's installation, my browser now immediately opens Media Player.

Many thanks for your kind assistance and have a great weekend!

jkd_ba

Lyla
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lyla » 20 Apr 2008 19:20

File associations are chosen by the user at the time of install only.
Not always http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2509

I talked with Simon.T and he needed to install 0.8.6d for the file association, in the browser! every installation with previous versions (I think from version 0.8.4 or something?!?) just gave to his browser the ability to open a non-supported M$ $hit formats...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”