Encoding multiple audio tracks

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes

Encoding multiple audio tracks

Postby Tappen » 07 Feb 2007 19:02

I'd like to create a file with the main movie, several audio tracks and a (.srt type) subtitle track created by SubRip from a Dvd. I'm pretty familiar with VLC and can extract an MPEG PS or TS file with a single video and audio track quite easily. I also know how to extract a 2nd audio track using Raw encapsulation, and I have the .srt file I want.

What I'd like is suggestions on the encapsulation and muxing software to create this new file. My own research suggests Matroska is a good bet, though I've never used the muxing software available. So I ask, which file format and software should I use to create a single file with 1 mpeg-2 video track, 2 dvd-compatible audio tracks, and 1 text-based (.srt) subtitle track?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 Feb 2007 19:49

Matroska should not be used with MPEG 2

The audio may be extracted using all ES. Subs are also extracted.
I'm not aware of a program that will show .srt subs with MPEG 2 in a standard container, but I may be wrong here. NON the less don't expect this to work with most players.

A copy to new container is accomplished by not selecting Audio or Video codecs. MPEG PS or MPEG TS is recommended if the source is a VOB (MPEG 2).

Please see:

http://www.videohelp.com or the doom9 forums for more info....

Tappen

Postby Tappen » 08 Feb 2007 01:59

Is there any way I can get 2 audio tracks into an MPEG TS using VLC? Or some other application that you know of, DJ? I can do 1 audio track fine. VideoHelp.com wasn't much help on this question.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Feb 2007 08:57

All audio tracks of a VOB should transfer using the "Select all elementary streams" option check box.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”