How to integrate VideoLAN into Firefox?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dispersee
New Cone
New Cone

How to integrate VideoLAN into Firefox?

Postby dispersee » 04 Feb 2007 11:25

Hi,

I am using Windows XP Home N (no windows media player, thank god) but I am required to install windows media player to be able to watch video files other than .mov (handled by the quicktime plugin.)

I am using vlc 0.8.6a and firefox 2.0.0.1 and I have installed vlc with the firefox plugin. In about:plugins there are 4 MIME types under the vlc plugin:

application/x-ogg
application/ogg
application/x-vlc-plugin
application/x-google-vlc-plugin

Is there a way for me to integrate videolan into firefox, so that the videos played in mini-windows use videolan the same way they use windows media player or quicktime?

Thank you!

MSchong
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MSchong » 30 Mar 2007 21:46

I believe I am in the exact same situation as you, and was wondering if you have had had any luck with your problem since you originally posted, 2 months ago.

I am running Win98SE. (And before anyone suggests it, I have no intention of upgrading to a newer version of windows! Moving to linux soon I suppose)

I also have no intention of ever letting Windows Media Player touch my hard drive. This is a problem if you like to listen to web features such as Amazon.com's sample audio track listing while browsing CDs.

I have been using VLC for a long time for viewing DVDs and media files on my hard drive, but I have yet to figure out how to use it to view media that launches in Firefox that "requires the Windows Media Player plugin" (i.e. MIME:application/x-mplayer2)

I installed VLC 8.6a as a firefox plugin (though I never found the file vlcintf.xpt which I keep reading about) and sure enough, firefox recognizes the same four MIME types in about:plugins as you listed in your post.

Yet whenever I click any windows media link it still says I need to install a plugin to listen to it. So now I am assuming that one of two situations applies here:

1) VLC is supposed to be able to handle this media, and I just haven't figured out how to set it up properly, even after trying the "usual" fixes that are described in various online forums, etc.
2) VLC was not meant to handle these links, which are, duh, specifically Windows Media Player plugin links.

If it's case #1, Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction for getting this plugin to work properly. I copied just about everything from the videolan folder into the mozilla\plugins folder. I tried reinstalling it. I even tried creating a faux registry entry to force VLC to launch (I have no idea if that is even a possible thing but I was bored)

If it's case #2, I'm up a creek, since I don't use WMP or RealPlayer, and most websites make you use one or the other. What I'd love to do is fabricate some hack that would trick my computer into launching VLC when it thinks it is launching WMP... but I sure could use some help from knowledgeable folks who might be willing to provide some guidance.

Thanks for reading.

Hawk-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hawk-1 » 31 Mar 2007 04:15

Ya same gos for me I hate having to be forced into something I don't like. I hate WMP,and I really hate that **** Quick **** Time. So I have been using Nero 7 don't like much either. Sounds like you guys have been asking for help on this for a long time now. Maybe we can give a wack at again and someone mite help us.

MSchong
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MSchong » 02 Apr 2007 17:52

Hmm.. in the hopes of getting any kind of answer, let me distill my post down to one small question for all the VLC gurus out there. (ver 0.8.6a)

If I am using firefox (2.0.0.3 in this case, on Win98SE) and click on a link that says "requires Windows Media Player Plugin to play this audio clip," and I have the VideoLAN plugin installed instead of WMP, can [or should] VLC launch instead of WMP to play this clip?

Example link:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Johnny- ... 00005Y1M2/
Then click on "Listen" for any track under the WMP column.

Maybe this question is just so stupid that people think I am a retard or am kidding. But the answer was not clear to me after searching the forum, reading the FAQ or HOWTO or documentation. I honest to god can't figure out the answer to this simple question on my own. Please. :(

Hawk-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hawk-1 » 02 Apr 2007 18:25

Hmm.. in the hopes of getting any kind of answer, let me distill my post down to one small question for all the VLC gurus out there. (ver 0.8.6a)

If I am using firefox (2.0.0.3 in this case, on Win98SE) and click on a link that says "requires Windows Media Player Plugin to play this audio clip," and I have the VideoLAN plugin installed instead of WMP, can [or should] VLC launch instead of WMP to play this clip?

Example link:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Johnny- ... 00005Y1M2/
Then click on "Listen" for any track under the WMP column.

Maybe this question is just so stupid that people think I am a retard or am kidding. But the answer was not clear to me after searching the forum, reading the FAQ or HOWTO or documentation. I honest to god can't figure out the answer to this simple question on my own. Please. :(

No the question is not stupid I think this Forum is. Would be nice to get a answer to a simple question.

MSchong
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MSchong » 02 Apr 2007 18:28

No the question is not stupid I think this Forum is. Would be nice to get a answer to a simple question.
C'mon dude that doesn't help. If anybody chooses to help us it is because they feel like taking their own time to do so.

Hawk-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hawk-1 » 02 Apr 2007 18:59

C'mon dude that doesn't help. If anybody chooses to help us it is because they feel like taking their own time to do so.
Well I know and I don't mean to be rude but it ticks me off with this stuff. We are using there product and trying to use there product over all the others. And theres never enough info on how to use the software they put out. If they would give more input on how to the program maybe more people would use the product. I am new into computers a year now. But I get mad when I cant figure how to do something, it would just be nice to find the info when you need it. Most are good but some people expect you should just know all this. I know I know a perfect world would be nice to. And thanks to all that have helped me in the past. My bug for the day.

Hawk-1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hawk-1 » 04 Apr 2007 16:06

Still no replies on this topic I see. Just thought I would renew the thread

enkidu
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and Firefox

Postby enkidu » 05 Apr 2007 11:32

Still no replies on this topic I see. Just thought I would renew the thread
Very curious thread.
The original poster asked :
application/x-ogg
application/ogg
application/x-vlc-plugin
application/x-google-vlc-plugin

Is there a way for me to integrate videolan into firefox ...
To which there is only one answer : you already "integrated" videolan into firefox.

The real, implied question was : how do I configure firefox mime types to use VLC instead of Windows Media and/or QuickTime.

This of course has nothing to do with VLC, and everything to do with Firefox. Strangely enough, I just tried to add a type for RealMEdia to be opened with VLC, and to my dismay it is near-impossible to add a new type to Firefox (using 2.0.0.3) through the UI. I've edited the MimeTypes.rdf manually but must have screwed some syntax as my new type isnt recognized.

Note that I'm talking about *adding* new types, the poster here only needs to modify existing mime types.

if anyone has successfully added a new type, I'd be glad to know how.

cheers
enkidu

Garjala
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC and Firefox

Postby Garjala » 06 Apr 2007 19:11

if anyone has successfully added a new type, I'd be glad to know how.
I doubt that as according to plugin source code support for those has been removed from plugin source code.

You need to change mime types back to previous values in plugin source code and then recompile it again to make it work.

Zachstar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zachstar » 09 Apr 2007 18:19

TOPIC NEEDS A DEVELOPER TO RESPOND

It seems that Windows users are getting screwed over when it comes to this. VLC needs to recognize if Firefox has the WMP plugin installed because if (like me you have had it with WMP) and you get this watered down MIME selection that is absurd and useless then you feel betrayed.

This needs to be fixed and instructions posted at once to fix this situation.

johnjinsf
New Cone
New Cone

Try The Media Player Connectivity Extension

Postby johnjinsf » 15 Apr 2007 15:41

Instead of having to change the File Type actions via Firefox Options / Content / Filetypes / Manage I used the Firefox Extension (sorry, Add On) called Media Player Connectivity.

With this extensions you can do almost anything with media files.

Hope this helps

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”