Horizontal lines in fast motion scenes.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jester805
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Horizontal lines in fast motion scenes.

Postby jester805 » 03 Feb 2007 00:33

I am running VLC version 0.8.6a on my Core 2 Duo E6300 with Windows XP Pro SP2. I rip DVD's to my hard drive and play the files from there.

All of my movies play pretty well. My problem is horizontal lines when the object on the screen moves really fast. For example, I can watch Fast & The Furious just fine, but when the cars start racing is when I see lines across the screen.

I made it a little better by doing this: Deinterlace --> Blend.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 26 Apr 2007 20:11

It sounds like you've described your problem, and solution, accurately -- you need deinterlacing to clean up the horizontal lines you get due to high motion in an interlaced video.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Apr 2007 06:46

Actually I saw this in that Movie too. While I didn't analyze it I believe the pull down was not correct as this shouldn't happen. It was rented so I can't easily go back to it again.

markfm is correct in that this should help, but because it is probably and error in pull down a deinterlace filter may not fully do what it is supposed to do. You could try a few of the methods for deinterlace and see which one does the best for this particular situation.

roxer2b
New Cone
New Cone

Postby roxer2b » 27 Apr 2007 10:21

I think it sounds more like a rendering issue.
The image isnt fully rendered until the next one is.
Its called tearing by game devs, and they fix it by syncronizing. IE, they force the screen to render fully before moving on, and do it syncronzed to get an even fps. ;)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Apr 2007 11:39

In order to know this the product would need to be analyzed and some knowledge of the production history would be helpful. I did try several players that were not common and only 1 was Direct Show, All showed the same problem. Game video is generally created differently than Movies, but if I were the producer or the Director to say nothing about being the Cinematographer on this Movie, I would be embarrassed. :oops:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”