VLC refusing/failing to play some video content?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Thrush
New Cone
New Cone

VLC refusing/failing to play some video content?

Postby Thrush » 01 Jan 2007 23:22

Hi, been using VLC for ages now, but never registered and posted as it has been good as gold and not let me down - till now that is!

I reinstalled XP onto my machine a couple weeks ago (I do a yearly reinstall just to sort it all out) and set about reinstalling all the programmes I use etc....

Anyway, the other day I went to watch a DVD rip I had done ages ago - one that played absolutely fine on VLC in the past, and got this message;

If I click abort, VLC closes, and if I click either retry or ignore, VLC closes and I get this;

It's done this now with three DVD Rips that in the past have worked fine, no probs.

I uninstalled it, downloaded the latest version and that hasn't changed it. I even ran check for updates and that hasn't helped either....

Last one, not a major issue, but before, I used to simply double click CUE files and VLC would open and play would begin. Now, double clicking the CUE's still opens VLC, but it sits there and does nothing til I either use quick open file, or drag and drop the CUE onto VLC's gui..... Confused!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Jan 2007 00:27

When reinstalling Windows the most common errors are forgetting to install the AGP or PCIe driver for your video card, updating your audio and video drivers, and getting a current version of DirectX runtime.

BTW it's the bin file and not the cue file that VLC wants to see.

Thrush
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thrush » 04 Jan 2007 00:54

I don't have an AGP or PCI(e) graphics card - standard on board gfx... So no drivers to load for that.... Everything else works absolutely fine, and these DVD rips play fine in Windows Media Player - just not in VLC, even tho they used to.....

And VLC used to play the from the CUE files no problem, so don't understand why this has changed......

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 04 Jan 2007 05:11

Almost certainly a DirectX problem. Do you have Directx9c installed with motherboard drivers that support it? If not you need to install those or change the video output module to something other than the default (which is DirectX now).

Thrush
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thrush » 15 Jan 2007 12:37

I do have DirectX 9.0c installed yes... Don't know what the "video ouput module" is tho :?:

Thrush
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thrush » 07 Feb 2007 20:34

Still not working - up for more advice! :)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Feb 2007 09:21

I'm not aware of a GFX board or on board video chip set made in recent years that would be compatible with DirectX 9c that would NOT require a AGP or PCIe driver. These are particular to the chip set on your motherboard and most often are not included with your video card. Also Microsoft updates DirectX every few months and it wouldn't hurt to have the latest DirectX runtime. These are not automatic. Microsoft also recommended updating your Audio and Video drivers with SP2 or DirectX 9c, the Windows Installed drivers most often will not support Video acceleration even when the motherboard drivers are present.

Thrush
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thrush » 24 Feb 2007 22:45

Hmm, ok..... All I know is before, VLC performed fine, but now it doesn't. The only thing to have changed is the reinstallation of XP (SP2). THing is I have re-installed before and had no probs, but now I do...

An another note, my downstairs PC (that has never had a reinstallation) has had a few of the same VLC error notes....

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Feb 2007 03:45

OK here is a simple test:

Try playing a commercial DVD (not sitting on a menu) then open your Task Manager. If the CPU usage is 25 - 30% you are missing the AGP or PCIe driver. This driver is available on the CD that came with your Motherboard or from the manufacture of your computer for the particular model.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”