VLC Codecs

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
itsbman
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Codecs

Postby itsbman » 01 Jan 2007 16:46

I have been using VLC Media player for over a year now. I just recently crashed my system and had to install everything over again.

Near the end before it crashed, I have noticed certain problems I had with VLC, first sometimes certain videos would play without the sound. Other things wouldn't play.

I am wondering, I installed VLC player, nothing else. What should (are the best things) to install along side with it, as in codecs, and everything I need to make it my allinone player. (I know it plays a crapload already, but I remember some things it needed)

Thanks

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 01 Jan 2007 19:42

VLC doesn't use any external codecs, so those aren't helpful. The biggest issue with VLC is setting up the preferences. Video and Audio output modules most importantly. There's a settings file in C:\Documents and Settings\[Your login name here]\Application Data\vlc called vlcrc that contains all your saved preferences. It's the most useful thing to save if you're re-installing, but it's also the first thing you should delete if you're having problems.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Jan 2007 19:42

VLC is a stand alone player that uses its own libraries to decode media files. It is NOT a Direct Show player and will not use Direct Show codecs.

In a new installation of Windows XP you will need a AGP or PCIe driver for your video card, updated audio and video drivers and the most recent version of DirectX runtime.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”