Compiling for visual studio 2005

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Mortis
New Cone
New Cone

Compiling for visual studio 2005

Postby Mortis » 20 Dec 2006 03:14

I'm currently trying to compile VLC for VS2005 and so far there are only minor changes required (knocks on wood).
I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in the project-files and source changes?
If someone is, I'll start over and make a cleaner implementation.

I did this because I was wondering why the media_play_pauze on my keyboard doesn't work as a hotkey..

Maybe in the long run, if all goes well, I can implement directx9 support. Then perhaps vlc can use pixel shaders for deinterlacing or other effects.

At the moment I'm almost at the download limit of my provider and can't download cygwin and all the necessary packages.

eAi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eAi » 20 Dec 2006 04:05

Well, I may be interested at some point but I'm kind of busy with other projects right now, sadly :(

Obviously more people working on VLC is better :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Dec 2006 08:39

If your VS 2005 build really compiles and works (which I doubt) there are lots of people needing working project files (solutions). So please upload instructions and files to somewhere. Also inform devs about this
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Dec 2006 09:50

The problem is not about compiling VLC with VS2005, but linking all the needed libraries. But if you can do it, great! Add it to a page in the wiki.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Mortis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mortis » 20 Dec 2006 23:47

It compiles, it links and I managed to load the basic gui plugin into it. So the plugin loading also works. I can pull up the basic menu's, once in awhile there is a bug with mutexes (still need to debug it).

I'll see if I can convert some decoding plugins later, but so far so good. I have the impression that libvlc was the hardest part, the two plugins I converted was relatively easy and hardly any code changes were necessary.

About posting instructions: it's not that easy because there are some area's in which the c code had to be adapted. I think it's because gnu c allows some constructs which aren't allowed according to the c specs. (I think it is, I could check it if I had cygwin and tried to compile it with --pedantic). Also, I had to create a module definition file.

Mortis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mortis » 22 Dec 2006 00:02

I talked with the developers on the mailinglist and I decided to drop it.

If someone wants create a working version for VS2005:
-variable-sized arrays are a feature of C99 change the source code to malloc for that
-lldiv is not supported
-add the exported functions of libvlc in a .def file

This is from the top of my head.
Good luck.

Asha
New Cone
New Cone

Compilation of libvlc in Visual Studio

Postby Asha » 22 Apr 2007 06:48

Hi Mortis,
Can you guide me how u started up in Visual Studio.
I have the libvlc dll and the lib file with me.
But unfortunately I am not able to access the APIs that is , when I try VLC_Version() I get an exception.

Please guide me.

Regards,
Asha

loic69
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loic69 » 27 Apr 2007 11:41

Hi
I would like to compile libvlc only with VS2005 to use VLC on my own application ?
What is the working way ?

libvlc is a complete application API or is it just a wrapper to vlc.exe ?

Regards

loic69
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loic69 » 02 May 2007 15:15

Hi
I found the answer to my questions... :(

But I'm already interresting by getting some VS2005 fils to make libvlc.dll and/or vlc.exe. (I think the MSYS or CYGWIN build process is very hard task under windows...).
In fact I just need to make a specific plugin I wrotte.

I'm also interresting to get an example project (VC6 or VS2005) which is an test application which calls LIBVLC.dll.
Without the libvlc.lib files, the best methods seams to use API LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress() isn't it ?

Regards

loic69
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loic69 » 04 May 2007 22:22

up

loic69
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loic69 » 31 May 2007 17:40

Mortis,

Can you talk me a little more about compiling VLC plugin with Visual Studio ?
I can do this easily with VLC 0.8.1 and it's OK for me.
original VLC plugin have just dependancy on Windows API. It's OK.
In the setup binaries under Windows, no libvlc.dll
(I need just special plugin I writed)

With VLC 0.8.6b, the VLC original plugin have a depandancy on libvlc.dll but the problem is I haven't the libvlc.lib file to include in my project...
I compiled and link sucessfully my special plugin but VLC crash when I launch it...

Can you help me ?

junkie_crew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Compiling for visual studio 2005

Postby junkie_crew » 17 Aug 2007 15:24

Hi all,

I am also trying to compile VLC on Visual Studio in order to integrate VLC on a Windows Mobile Plateform. I need to do it specifically on VS2005 because I will probably code a plugin for the audio/video hardware configuration of the target, so it would be easier with the debug tools of such a program.

But I have lots of errors occuring during the compilation of plugin_wince and libvlc. Does anyone have a working VS project that I could download somewhere ? Or anyone could tell me precisely what to change in the code or the compiler/linker to make it work ?

I can send you my errors but I think it's gonna be hard to debug it by forum posts...

Thanks a lot !

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”