S/PDIF problem - sound lags

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ub00t
New Cone
New Cone

S/PDIF problem - sound lags

Postby ub00t » 20 Dec 2006 02:38

Hi,
if I activate S/PDIF, then the sound lags and stumbles in few tone loops. Not a nice hearing experience..

My setting: win xp sp2 - audigy 2 zs - activated s/pdif passthrough in creative console. Then a digital output into a decoder.

The Decoder detects, that there is a digital output (Dolby Digital) via s/pdif. Anyway vlc isn't able to deal with the dolby digital stream, transporting via s/pdif - why that? Is there a special "expert setting" in the settings menu, which I haven't seen?

Setting stereo is no problem, it's only a problem with the s/pdif. With PowerDVD it works fine.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Dec 2006 08:41

Use Waveout (not DirectX) from VLC settings. This is known issue.

ub00t
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ub00t » 20 Dec 2006 17:06

Oh thanks, awesome, it works.

BUT, after the settings change I can't change the loudness while the dolby digital dvd movie is running. Is that normal?

techshare31
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techshare31 » 21 Dec 2006 04:54

I have set that and tried all different combos but nothing makes the audio right. It only sounds "better" with the waveout setting. I even tried reverting to the old over 8.2 and still no luck :( I have the same setup as the OP in this thread. Also, AC3 filter does not work for me so I was hoping VLC would! DVD's played thru powerdvd DO work, but that's it. TIA for any help!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Dec 2006 10:39

You can't change volume of AC3 streams on fly. You have to do that in decoder side (usually in amplifier).

techshare31: Use Media Player Classic, it should work (built in DTS and AC3 decoders). AC3filter should work (just not with VLC as VLC doesn't use external decoders).

coverdale76
New Cone
New Cone

Postby coverdale76 » 23 Jan 2007 10:50

I have set that and tried all different combos but nothing makes the audio right. It only sounds "better" with the waveout setting. I even tried reverting to the old over 8.2 and still no luck :( I have the same setup as the OP in this thread. Also, AC3 filter does not work for me so I was hoping VLC would! DVD's played thru powerdvd DO work, but that's it. TIA for any help!
I got the same problem even after I switched the Output Modules to Win32 waveOut extension output or others. But something works below:

viewtopic.php?t=29224&start=15&postdays ... highlight=

But after some tests, the better result is on the MPC(Media Player Classic with K-Lite Codec Pack) side. No silence break gaps(occurs sometime with VLC output directly through S/PDIF).

My Set:
TOSHIBA M50(Notebook) > MPC(Filter/AC3 audio decoder) > M-Audio FW1814 sound card with digital coaxcial audio output > JS DE006 Decoder > JS 5.1 speakers.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”