VLC media player crashes

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dazzafact
New Cone
New Cone

VLC media player crashes

Postby dazzafact » 29 Sep 2006 21:10

Hi all. Hope you can help. My films keeps freezing on me whilst the ausio keeps running, can't for the life of me figure out why. It used to just happen a couple of times during a film but it now is too many to cope with. Im running Xp, and firefox; I have windows media player 10, and I cant install real player (not sure whether thats connected????) Any help please as I cant watch any bloody films!! Oh, and be gentle, its my first time :roll:

nonamevlc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nonamevlc » 29 Sep 2006 21:39

Looks like your processor isnt able to do the video work.
How powerful is your PC & were you able to play fine before ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Sep 2006 22:31

You can try opening your Task Manager and looking at CPU usage while playing the video to see if this is a problem for you. You can also open a Messages window within VLC to see what kind of errors are being generated when problems are encountered. These things will point to some kind of resolve. Well, beside posting your machine specs and stating the formats and container that is giving you problems. :wink:

dazzafact
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dazzafact » 29 Sep 2006 22:37

I've a 3.1 pentium 4, 1256 of ram and a load of crap on it. I think I may have sorted it by changing output to gdi; it seems to be fine, and a lot cleener with the cpu usage. Will keep you posted. Thanks anyway.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Sep 2006 22:43

Shutting down DirectX puts allot of weight on your CPU. While you may not notice this for many things you will notice it when it comes to High Def stuff in particular MPEG HD. So it would probably be best on this one to correct the problem at the source which is your video cards drivers. Updating DirectX runtime wouldn't hurt while you are at it. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”