Video is Bluish- Help please

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
nonamevlc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Video is Bluish- Help please

Postby nonamevlc » 28 Sep 2006 22:36

VLC used to work fine for me on Win XP.

However ,of late ( Not sure if after I updated to 0.8.5) ,any video I open in VLC Player is 90% Blue in Color. Red doesnt appear at all.

The same video files(DivX,FLV,AVI) play perfectly fine in every other player like mplayer2,Windows media player or anything.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.No use.

I uninstalled & installed the nightly release. "vlc-0.9.0-svn-20060926-1805-win32".Still, the videos are blue.

One thing I did was ,I installed K-lite Codec pack some weeks back (as i had lot of video editing to do).Iam not sure if thats what caused the problem.

Googling,shows that another user found that VLC videos play bluish after
installing K-lite codec pack.

I have uninstalled the k-lite codec,uninstalled VLC, reinstalled VLv,cleared the preference. Still the videos are bluish tinge.

DJ,I did read this post of yours. viewtopic.php?t=26869 . Not sure if it applies here since iam not trying to play DVD's

Please help fix this problem.

thanks.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Sep 2006 23:29

Try erasing the preferences directory. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

Then reboot your machine before trying VLC again.

nonamevlc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nonamevlc » 29 Sep 2006 21:46

I have already deleted the preference files,rebooted.
Still the videos are bluish.

Would it help changing the video to other color schemes like CMY,RGB etc..?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Sep 2006 22:38

Unless your problem revolves around a capture device it seems unlikely that chroma formats is what's at issue here.

Have you tried resetting your video card to it's defaults for color, Direct3D, OpenGL and Overlay? Sometimes games improperly store settings here.

nonamevlc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Resolved !

Postby nonamevlc » 30 Sep 2006 13:45

Issue Resolved !

Turns out that 'Hardware Acceleration' was the problem. It was set to level 3[That disables all direct draw & direct 3d accelerators]!! I set it back to maximum & VLC is playing fine now!!
_________

What had happened was,while I was doing the editing work on windows movie maker some weeks back,WMM kept crashing. One of the solutions i was suggested with was to lower the hardware acceleration to level 3.
But I had not returned the hardware acceleration to the original max position after the job was done.

_________

Thankyou DJ !

_________

p.s:I guess different players use directX differently. Inspite of hardware acceleration at level 3,WMP.mplayer2 played the video fine....

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 30 Sep 2006 21:58

Yup! This is very true and all video cards respond a bit differently too. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”