How do I make hidden files visable

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SO
New Cone
New Cone

How do I make hidden files visable

Postby SO » 24 Sep 2006 01:44

I have an IBM T 20 notebook. It is running windows xp professional and I need to reset my preferences (as explained in the FAQ section) so my videolan player will work again. I understand that the files that I need to delete are hidden. I looked in the application data file and couldnt see the files named in the FAQ. How do I make hidden files no longer hidden (visable)?

I clicked show hidden files and there is no VLC file in the application data file....where could it be? the only VLC file I have found using the file search is in the program file and when I threw that file out the player wouldnt play so I restored it from the trash.

Also I have my notebook in sleep mode. Is that the same as rebooting the system?

Please help cause I miss my AVIs !

Hells_weapon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hells_weapon » 24 Sep 2006 02:42

Your best bet is to uninstall the VLC and reinstall it. now adays the windows unistaller does a fairly good job of cleaning your hard drive up.

Sleeping isn't reboting.

Btw which file are you looking for?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Sep 2006 11:05

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Sep 2006 00:58

Open Windows Explorer and from the Tools tab select folder options, then select the View tab, near the end of the first page you will see "Show hidden files and folders" select this and press Apply and then OK!

You may want to note the original setting and change it back when your done. :)

SO
New Cone
New Cone

I Did That

Postby SO » 27 Sep 2006 00:23

I did that and I still dont see the VLC file that I have been told to delete as per the FAQ.

Also I unstalled it using the windows uninstaller but I have the notebook in sleep mode so all I have to do is shut the lid and it goes to sleep.

Should I unstall the program again then actually reboot the system before I reinstall videolan 8.5 ?

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 27 Sep 2006 22:08

Try searching the entire hard drive for the file from Windows Explorer.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Sep 2006 00:59

I agree. But you can reinstall it after rebooting and check the reset preferences button.

Maybe you should just activate the hidden folders in Windows Explorer ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: I Did That

Postby DJ » 28 Sep 2006 23:43

I did that and I still dont see the VLC file that I have been told to delete as per the FAQ.

Also I unstalled it using the windows uninstaller but I have the notebook in sleep mode so all I have to do is shut the lid and it goes to sleep.

Should I unstall the program again then actually reboot the system before I reinstall videolan 8.5 ?
It isn't a file it's a folder named vlc. You should also see dvdcss in Applications Data if you have watched DVDs with VLC, this can also be erased. If you have used VLC at all, even just opened the player once the folder will exist.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”