To anyone with a gray screen during playback: FIXED

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
GezusK
New Cone
New Cone

To anyone with a gray screen during playback: FIXED

Postby GezusK » 06 Sep 2006 04:30

I finally fixed it on my system. I was using a program called Transbar that made my Start bar semi-transparent. I finally discovered, that when it was enabled, I would get a gray screen, instead of video, when using the DirectX output (might be the default output too, I don't know).

I had reinstalled drivers, and reinstalled DirectX....which didn't fix it. I had removed VLC completely, still didn't fix it. I even switched to the latest nightly build. I could "work-around" it by choosing a different output mode, such as DirectX3D, OpenGL, and GDI. But I finally thought of what I had done the day it quit working. I had installed a new visual style and started using the Transbar program to change the appearence of my Start Bar.

Perhaps some of you that are having the same problem are using something like this also. Although, maybe VLC needs something fixed too, since no other player was effected by it.

ryboto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ryboto » 03 Oct 2006 15:12

I use a replacement shell for windows, blackbox, and just recently I made the task bar transparent, and at the same time, vlc stopped showing video, only a grey screen. I turned off the transparency, and, bam! video worked. Odd. I still sometimes get grey screens, when opening certain avi's, if i fast forward to the end of them, and then play them from the beginning, they work fine. I also get a problem with some mpegs, where vlc doesn't play anything, and it estimates the play time to be a few hours, when the clip is really only a few minutes.

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby tonsofpcs » 03 Oct 2006 15:29

The timing issue is usually due to a bad/malformed/incorrect/missing header in the file.

Hova
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hova » 18 Dec 2006 01:29

Finally. This fixed my grey video problem.

My taskbar was transparent, using tclock lite.

Wow, I didn't think of this being the problem, thank you. Thank you.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”