Compiled from sources, does not work as the official build

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Compiled from sources, does not work as the official build

Postby Lurker » 10 Jul 2006 21:50

I've downloaded 0.8.5 sources, set up cygwin environment per instruction on the developers site, compiled...

"Show interface with mouse" works OK with the official build, and does not work with mine.

If I replace a plug-in DLL in the official build with compiled by myself, VLC crashes.

What did I miss? How can I build it using cygwin with exactly the same functionality? OK, let's forget about mixing DLLs (thouhg I'd like to understand it too), but what's wrong about mouse event?

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 12 Jul 2006 20:39

The official looks like was built under Debian environment...

Regarding the problem with showing interface with mouse, I found out that the "mouse-y" is equal to the y offset of the crop-geometry option when the mouse cursor is at the topmost position. Oh...

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 12 Jul 2006 23:55

Anyway, you should be able to create builds with the same functionality as our official, linux-powered ones with cygwin. We are only using Debian for building the win32-binaries for our own personal comfort. Cygwin does exactly the same, only slower. Note that you need to use the same configure-line of course. That's the following atm (ignore the mingw-specific stuff please):

Code: Select all

./configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc --build=i386-linux --enable-shared-libvlc --enable-sdl --with-sdl-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --disable-gtk --disable-dts --disable-hal --disable-libcdio --enable-nls --enable-skins2 --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac --with-ffmpeg-zlib --with-ffmpeg-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora --enable-twolame --enable-dvdread --disable-vcdx --disable-cddax --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-sdk-path=/usr/win32/gecko-sdk --with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --enable-live555 --with-live555-tree=/usr/win32/live.com --enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin --enable-goom --enable-quicktime --enable-portaudio --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --enable-mkv --enable-shout
Mixing DLLs created for different binaries of VLC is no good idea btw. VLC's APIs and ABIs are still very unstable, so a 0.8.4a-DLL will reliably not work with VLC 0.8.5. Mixing 0.8.5-created-on-debian and 0.8.5-created-using-cygwin should work actually, but due to some small differences (the debian-powered build might use slightly new libraries and a different GCC-version [3.3.x vs 4.x which aren't binary compatible]) even this seems to be impossible.
You could surely mix different DLLs created using the same build environment, if your changes are limited to a single DLL.

I hope that my run-on sentences make sense to you. If not, feel free to continue asking :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 13 Jul 2006 20:18

Thanks for the answer!

Now I understand why DLLs from different builds can't be mixed. By the way, in particular, it can be because cygwin appends .exe extension to all the DLLs. Though MAKEFILEs take care of it by removing it, it does not solve the problem with this odd extensions. In particular, if I build VCL with cygwin to use LIBVLC.DLL, the vlc.exe tries to load libvlc.dll.exe. I had to rename libvlc.dll back to libvlc.dll.exe to make it working.

Regarding "Show interface with mouse", this is a bug in VLC. First I thought the different builds work different, then I realized that it is a crop-related bug. My build worked a different way due to my modifications to the "crop" module (see here for details). Then I've found out that y offset of the "crop-geometry" option affects "mouse-y" internal variable value: it becomes non-zero when the mouse cursor at the top of the screen. Now I see that that the "crop" option (even in the current version, e.g. if I select 16:10) affects "mouse-y" the same way, and also prevents "Show interface with mouse" to work as it should.

BusyBox
New Cone
New Cone

libvlc.dll.exe

Postby BusyBox » 05 Oct 2006 15:29

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this stupid libvlc.dll.exe problem?
I guess it's Cygwin related, but have no idea how to deal with it.

tonsofpcs
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby tonsofpcs » 05 Oct 2006 19:19

Seems like a config issue. But for a temporary fix, you can keep a copy with each name.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”