Trouble With Snapshots...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bishop007

Trouble With Snapshots...

Postby bishop007 » 21 May 2006 07:07

I seem to be having a problem getting snapshots using VLC 0.8.5. I'm on WinXP.

I've fooled around in the preferences, I'm sure I know where the files should be headed. I've tried both PNG and JPG formats. I've used the hotkey ALT+CTRL+S and gone through the menu option.

I see the snapshot preview in the upper left hand corner of the window, but nothing is saved anywhere. No files at all.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 21 May 2006 19:16

did you check in the "My Images" directory ?
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Postby Guest » 21 May 2006 19:59

did you check in the "My Images" directory ?
Yes, in XP it's called "My Pictures"

I've checked there, and even adjusted the preferences to define a folder where they should be going. There's just nothing there. No one else has had this problem?

What does VLC name the snapshots? Maybe I could try a file search.

donector

snapshots error

Postby donector » 02 Jun 2006 13:03

the same happens to on win xp
no snapshot at all :cry:
even no "snapshot preview"

please take this in consideration

thanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Jun 2006 19:46

VLC 0.8.5 final works for me in either .png or .jpg assigned to My Pictures and using the ctrl alt s keys. I do find that pause is necessary or I end up with several files of the same thing. This was not a problem in earlier versions. However, using the Video tab Snapshot option or right clicking on the video and selecting Snapshot yields one picture without needing to pause.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Pdawg

Postby Pdawg » 08 Jun 2006 14:16

Hope this helps out, but I've found that after you've changed your settings to wherever you wish to save the snapshot image, I had to close the player and reopen before they would actually go into effect. :)

Turambar

Postby Turambar » 10 Jul 2006 17:04

I've got a similar problem, when I've changed the settings and restart the player, it simply "forgets" where I wanted my pictures...

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2006 19:04

I've got a similar problem, when I've changed the settings and restart the player, it simply "forgets" where I wanted my pictures...
You must always press "Save" and close the player. The next time you open the player your options will be in effect.

Turambar

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2006 18:25

I do save, and the settings is still there as long as I don't restart the player (even if they don't make any difference then), but when I restart the player, the settings are gone :/

ndarkduck

Yep....

Postby ndarkduck » 12 Jul 2006 20:08

debug says :

[00000401] main video output error: could not create snapshot D:\documentos\Mis
Im?genes\/vlcsnap-122267.png

It's great the idea about a JPG output format, but scince i updated I couldn't get any snapshot.

:twisted: I want them back

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Jul 2006 20:51

When you specified the Snapshot directory you used a back slash at the end of the line, remove it! :P

The line should look like: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\My Documents\My Pictures

and yield a command like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\My Documents\My Pictures/vlcsnap-102399.png)

and not:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\My Documents\My Pictures\/vlcsnap-102399.png)

:lol:

OpTicaL
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OpTicaL » 22 Jul 2006 05:09

Whenever I take a snap shot with VLC it the resolution of the snapshot is not the same as my desktop snapshot. How can I make VLC take a snapshot in the size of my current desktop resolution?

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2006 06:26

There is no need to double post on these! :x

viewtopic.php?t=24099

If you want to use a snapshot as wallpaper go to wallpaper and tell it to fill the screen. You don't need to change the resolution. That's Display Properties, DeskTop. The command under Position is stretch after selecting the background.

mulito

my reign for a snapshot

Postby mulito » 22 Jul 2006 15:41

I can't get a snapshot in vlc 0.8.5!
I click the option in menu, like in older versions, but there is no image preview and the snapshot does not appear anywhere
I've tryed with hotkeys, and... same result! none!
I've reset options to default and snapshots are still not working :(

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2006 20:46

When you first start VLC and use any of the Hot Keys, they don't work! Well at least not for me. :lol: But if you go to full screen, the Hot Keys work normally. If you then return to a windowed mode, the Hot Keys continue to work, until you close the player and start again. This has been this way for at least the last three versions.

The only other thing I can think of (assuming you have set the options in Preferences) is that the folder you have assigned it to save in doesn't exist or you don't have permission to write to it. :)

mulito

Postby mulito » 22 Jul 2006 22:59

(assuming you have set the options in Preferences)
ok, now i have selected a folder to save snapshots and it´s working fine!
(In older versions there was no necessary to select a folder, snapshots were saved by default in "my pictures" folder)

Turambar

Postby Turambar » 23 Jul 2006 03:37

I can't get a snapshot in vlc 0.8.5!
I click the option in menu, like in older versions, but there is no image preview and the snapshot does not appear anywhere
I've tryed with hotkeys, and... same result! none!
I've reset options to default and snapshots are still not working :(
ok, now i have selected a folder to save snapshots and it´s working fine!
Well, I've got the same problem, but as I have said before, the path won't remain when I shut the program. And it doesn't work without restart, so I don't know what to do :?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 23 Jul 2006 04:05

I don't believe I have run across another user where preferences wouldn't save. Well, there was this German guy who was pressing the OK button. But there is no OK button any more, just Save, Cancel and Reset. The only other thing I can think of is the directory you are trying to enter doesn't exist or you don't have permissions. You could check to see if the preferences folders and files exist. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC

Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible. You can even erase the directory and see if it is recreated the next time you open VLC. If indeed it is being created then you will also be able to save your preferences. :)

Turambar

Postby Turambar » 23 Jul 2006 23:19

I did what you said, and it seems like the path is saved (in the file vlcrc), but it doesn't show when I open preferences... And anyway I can't make a snapshot (have searched for vlcsnap and can't find anything) The strange thing is that I have tried before, and then it worked... :?
Maybe I should uninstall it and try again?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 23 Jul 2006 23:36

When you first start VLC and use any of the Hot Keys, they don't work! Well at least not for me. But if you go to full screen, the Hot Keys work normally. If you then return to a windowed mode, the Hot Keys continue to work, until you close the player and start again. This has been this way for at least the last three versions.

The only other thing I can think of (assuming you have set the options in Preferences) is that the folder you have assigned it to save in doesn't exist or you don't have permission to write to it.

Try changing another option like the snapshot saved file type from .png to .jpg then press save and close the player. When you restart VLC look a preferences again. Is the new format saved?

Stepes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Stepes » 05 Oct 2006 20:53

whew had to register to post this :P
I found out that VLC can't remember paths with greek(maybe even other languages) letters in it.
Hope you can fix it.
For all those with a foreign my documents folder name just save the pics to C:\ or C:\something_english
worked for me

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Oct 2006 00:30

Not only can't remember them but can't find them to begin with. This is a known issue and hopefully will be resolved in the next revision.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”