S/PDIF simply messes up my digital surround sound.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Maniphesto

S/PDIF simply messes up my digital surround sound.

Postby Maniphesto » 16 May 2006 21:55

Hey whats up everyone?

anyways, I have logitech z5500 digital speakers that connect through S/PDIF optical for digital surround sound. When I set the VLC player to play audio through S/PDIF it just messes up my audio and makes it sound like its just stuttering and jumping (the sound you would get if the dvd was say, skipping). I have the same settings through all my other problems, most notibly PowerDvD and the sound works perfectly fine through S/PDIF, so I have to assume its not my setup its something with the player. Using S/PDIF is the only way I can actually enjoy full digital surround sound. When I switch to normal 5.1 the audio is fine, but its not as good as it could be if the S/PDIF would work.

Has anyone had this issue before, or know how it can be fixed?

thanks for your time.

Maniphesto

Postby Maniphesto » 16 May 2006 22:21

Also, I saw the old thread about some of these issues but didn't feel posting in that one would make much sense since its now onto other topics and seemed like an old thread where people were talking about older versions of VLC.

Im running ver. 0.8.5

and the problem persists.

Postby Guest » 17 May 2006 09:44

Try 0.82. It sort-of works with SPDIF (skips audio though). I believe the Windows port is fubar.

pinnocchio
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pinnocchio » 17 May 2006 17:04

Maniphesto

Install latest version

Run it

Settings --> Preferences --> (select advanced options) --> Audio --> Output modules --> Select 'Win32 Waveout extension output' from the drop down list labelled 'Audio Output Module' --> Save

Close VLC

Now try it.

Maniphesto

Postby Maniphesto » 18 May 2006 10:00

Cool man, its working fine now, thanks alot!

lonestar84

Postby lonestar84 » 19 May 2006 01:05

this "trick" is not working on my machine. (I also have the logitech z5500)
The speaker's display says there is a DD 3/2 48/16-stream coming in via coax, but I still have this stuttering mentioned before.
Version 0.8.2 is working... and my speakers say exactly the same thing about the stream.

robert

Postby robert » 06 Jun 2006 23:02

The speaker's display says there is a DD 3/2 48/16-stream coming in via coax, but I still have this stuttering mentioned before.
Version 0.8.2 is working... and my speakers say exactly the same thing about the stream.
i also have the z5500. and i still have the stuttering - my display says DD PL2 Movie.

anything elso i have to do?

thx
robert

Postby Guest » 06 Jun 2006 23:08

i also have the z5500. and i still have the stuttering - my display says DD PL2 Movie.

anything elso i have to do?

thx
robert

it works... shame on me.... don't know if i just forgot to restart VLC. :roll:

big thx
robert

Hnapel

spdif in VLC stutters

Postby Hnapel » 19 Jun 2006 20:51

Hi all,

I can confirm VLC definately has a problem with spdif, for example
using same audio harware spdif works from WinDVD and my receiver
says Dolby Digital or DTS (whatever I select from DVD menu´s) but
from VLC player it´s horrible stuttering, skipping etc. Hope this
will be fixed soon, because VLC is only tool I know that can make
all encoded lines in 16:9 format from the DVD to go to my widescreen
TV w/o further cropping (I set VLC to force 4:3 and stretch the image
on the TV),

greetings,

H.

Hnapel

b.t.w. the 'trick' actually works!

Postby Hnapel » 19 Jun 2006 20:59

Hi Again,

my previuous post was a bit premature, indeed if I set

Settings --> Preferences --> (select advanced options) --> Audio --> Output modules --> Select 'Win32 Waveout extension output' from the drop down list labelled 'Audio Output Module' --> Save

(thanks Manifesto!)

It WORKS!

Hope it does for others too,

greetings,

H.

Postby Guest » 20 Jun 2006 15:57

I think it has also something to do with the soundcard

spdif worked like a charme with my old sb-live card..(all versions up to 8.5)

my new xi.fi card is not so "grateful" on this matter.: stutters or no spdif output (settings are correct as it works with mpc, tt and zoomplayer)

I hope you can fix it because vls is my favourite player for nearly everything including HD-ts stuff.. (deactivating dx9 is not an option for me)

vlc is a great piece of software but without spdif its rather useless for me

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 Jun 2006 23:12

my new xi.fi card is not so "grateful" on this matter.: stutters or no spdif output (settings are correct as it works with mpc, tt and zoomplayer)

I hope you can fix it because vls is my favourite player for nearly everything including HD-ts stuff.. (deactivating dx9 is not an option for me)
You may not be aware of this but many players do deactivate DirectX for audio when S/PDIF is selected. But they do not sense the type of file to turn S/PDIF on automatically. You must manually do this. Timing has always been an issue when using DirectX and S/PDIF and most software vendors have recognized this.

Perhaps a Feature Request in that section of this forum. Something to the effect of linking the Win32 waveOut extensions output to the S/PDIF port and giving up the auto-detection for the same port. Put it in your words and see what comes back. :wink: There may already be a request and you could see what is being said or add to it! :lol:

Please keep in mind that VLC is NOT a Direct Show player like the others you have mentioned. It is a packet based player designed for streaming media files.

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2006 02:34

Same problem here.Tried different versions of vlc and Audio output module=Win32 waveOut without any luck.I`ll wait for an upgraded/future version of vlc i guess.Meanwhile i am using other players as spdif is eesential to me.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Jun 2006 04:34

Same problem here.Tried different versions of vlc and Audio output module=Win32 waveOut without any luck.I`ll wait for an upgraded/future version of vlc i guess.Meanwhile i am using other players as spdif is eesential to me.
If you have tried the Win32 waveOut extension output setting and have S/PDIF set in the Preferences and you still have a problem, have you tried updating your sound card's drivers??

S/PDIF is a standard and it generally does not, work for some and not for others. :wink:

I'm saying this because it's rather staggering how many people are saying it now works for their operating system. So there must be a good reason why it's not working for a few. :lol:

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2006 10:46

Yes i have the latest sound card drivers,i have tried reinstalling them too.I cant say if its a problem with my system as spdif works fine with other players except vlc.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Jun 2006 11:48

When you say "latest" they carry a revision dated later than Oct 04??

Postby Guest » 21 Jun 2006 12:06

I am not so sure about the revision date.Here is a link Audigy 2 zs

The question is why spdif works with other players but not with vlc even after i apply any kind of solutions mentioned here + trying different versions?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Jun 2006 20:10

The drivers version and date may be found by opening your Control panel and selecting System --> Hardware --> Device Manager --> Sound, Video and Game Controllers --> (the name of your audio card) I assume Audigy --> Driver. Driver Date and Driver Version will be shown on this screen.

From your last statement, I assume you have never had S/PDIF working in any version of VLC you have tried?

What versions have you tried?

Postby Guest » 22 Jun 2006 00:17

0.8.2 to the latest nightly builds.Driver date is 08.12.2005.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 22 Jun 2006 01:53

From everything you have expressed here I would tend to believe it should work too! Specially when very few people had problems with 0.8.2

I have walked a few people through uninstalling and reinstaling showing all the places to erace directories and regestry entries along the way, even suggesting virus and spywear scans, checking for corrupted files within the system, defragging the disk etc. So it would be know that the system was clean and healthy before the reinstall. Of the 4 or 5 times I have tried this it has been successful with other types of problems. But in this case I'm not sure it would be of benefit to you. Sorry you continue to have problems with this as the solution eludes me too. :cry:

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2006 11:24

I am getting the following notice on the console "[00000346] waveout audio output error: cannot open wave out output device" i am getting this notice regardless witch audio device i am using only that vlc audio still works fine except when it comes to spdif.

1.I suppose vlc cant find the wave out and goes back using directx witch it causes all the problems in spdif?

2.It must be some issue with my sound card?tried rerolling the driver to previous versions,reinstalled new drivers,still no result.

3.I also noticed i dont have sound with 5.1 dts/sacd anymore,i could before.Now i can only get a stereo sound and only with vlc but no spdif or 5.1 with any player.

4.Thank you for your help.

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2006 17:25

1. Some soundcards for music creation don't have all around Waveout drivers. So they usually only work with basic Windows sounds and use ASIO for audio software, VLC doesn't support ASIO ATM. It could be also that VLC Waveout tries to open wrong waveout device or that waveout device is allready in use for some reason

3. Have you selected digital output from you soundcard control panel software?

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2006 02:36

try using a replacment driver - instead of the creative audigy driver - use the kX driver http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1 - i use it since a few month because of digitial out troubles in general and never looked back - worth a try !

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2006 20:09

Same here, stuttering SPDIF output... I have 0.85, Windows2000 and an X-Fi with latest drivers.

Guest007

thanks

Postby Guest007 » 06 Jul 2006 23:30

hey thanks a lot guys.
i trying for such a long time to run divx files with ac3/dolby digital.

thanks to you my dream came true:-)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”