Hiss during audio playback

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ivanbuto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Hiss during audio playback

Postby ivanbuto » 08 May 2006 16:42

I have the following problem when playing audio files or CDs with VLC Media Player. Version 0.8.5, but it was the same with the previous ones. Windows 98 SE.

When the audio output module is set to default or DirectX, I generally have a hissing noise in the background and the perceived quality of the playback is low.

When it's set to waveOut, there is no hissing noise, but the playback skips and cuts at frequent intervals.

The workaround I am currently able to use is as follows:

With DirectX output module, I use Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic to play and then pause an arbitrary audio file, and I leave that application open. Then, I am able to use VLC Media Player to play audio files or CDs without any hiss.

What is the explanation for being able to use this workaround, and is there any setting I could use within VLC that would enable me to avoid the hiss without using the workaround.

Note (and try not to laugh) that this system has a very old ISA audio card (Soundblaster 16). I have a somewhat newer PCI-based Soundblaster card available, but I have not been using it because the older one has bass and treble control, and I actually like it better. Would the soundcard have something to do with this?

Thanks for any help!

Ivan

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 May 2006 03:28

The sound card will not like the float32 option. Preferences, Audio, Output modules, DirectX toggle the float32 option then press Save and close the player.

ivanbuto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ivanbuto » 09 May 2006 19:21

Yeah, I've had that unchecked already, and it doesn't help.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 May 2006 11:10

From what you have described it does sound like a compatibility problem with DirectX perhaps an update on DirectX (Feb 06) or more than likely new driver for your sound card will resolve the issue. Please be aware that VLC will amplify the sound over 50% and some sound card have problems with this. The problems range from increased noise floor to distortion of dynamics for some frequencies depending on your sound card. Most other players do NOT do this.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”