3.0.19 Vetinari crashes on open

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
KaarloTuomi
New Cone
New Cone

3.0.19 Vetinari crashes on open

Postby KaarloTuomi » 13 Oct 2023 19:05

good evening,

Windows 8.1 (64-bit) on a PC
VLC Media Player 3.0.19 Vetinari

VLC automatically updated this evening as I was about to play a DVD. after installation it crashed on start.

I got a pop-up that said, "Ooops: VLC media player just crashed. Would you like to send a bug report to the developers team?"

I clicked yes. so if it actually sends a bug report then you probably already know about this.

after clicking yes on the bug report popup the program loads, but when I select <playback><play><disc> and click <play> it just crashes.

I followed the advice here: https://wiki.videolan.org/Report_bugs , to reset my preferences and delete the cache, but this makes no difference.

incidentally, on the FAQ, under VLC Crashes, it said: Increase the verbosity level (either in the preferences or with a -vv command line option)

I didn't find this particularly helpful because there does not appear to be any way to adjust verbosity in the preferences. in fact, I was unable to find any mention of verbosity, at all. I suspect this is out of date information because the software has been updated and you might want to update the FAQ. just a thought.

thank you,

Martin

Yakoov4827
New Cone
New Cone

Re: 3.0.19 Vetinari crashes on open

Postby Yakoov4827 » 13 Oct 2023 19:59

I am having the same issue.

Windows 10, 3.0.19 Vetinari.

Ever since the update, VLC crashes the moment I try to play any media.

herve-hds
New Cone
New Cone

Postby herve-hds » 13 Oct 2023 21:27

Hello,
Same problem with version 3.0.19 under Windows 11 (build 22621.2428)
Back to version 3.0.18 and no problem.

Mattwanz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mattwanz » 14 Oct 2023 00:24

Hello,
Same for me 3.0.19 crashed on Windows 10

crustyjuggler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby crustyjuggler » 14 Oct 2023 10:17

Same issue here, 3.0.19 on Windows 10 crashing when opening media. Gone back to previous version.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 14 Oct 2023 12:38

Please all, tell us what is your hardware, especially CPU and GPU.

Also run VLC from the command prompt with this command line for creating a log file:

Code: Select all

C:\path\to\vlc\vlc.exe --extraintf=logger --verbose=2 --logfile=C:\temp\vlc.log --logmode=text --file-logging

and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com or on Justpaste.it if it's too long.

The destination folder must already exist and make sure that you have full access rights to it.

KaarloTuomi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KaarloTuomi » 14 Oct 2023 14:21

Windows 8.1 (64-bit) on a PC
VLC Media Player 3.0.19 Vetinari
CPU: AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6530D (0x964A)

I posted the logfile on Pastebin with the title: VLCLog KaarloTuomi 14 Oct 2023

but I got an error message that said:

Pastebin’s SMART filters have detected potentially offensive or questionable content in your Paste.
The content you are trying to publish has been deemed potentially offensive or questionable by our filters, because of this you’re receiving this warning.
This Paste can only be published with the visibility set to "Private".

so I don't know whether it's there or not becasue I have never used it before.

take care,

Martin

KaarloTuomi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KaarloTuomi » 14 Oct 2023 14:29

update to my previous, it pasted on Justpaste, using the same title as before: VLCLog KaarloTuomi 14 Oct 2023

take care,

Martin

Glendee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Glendee » 15 Oct 2023 02:54

Seems like the same thing happens over and over. I've lost count of how many updates that I've ended up having to uninstall. I've finally given up on any usable update. I have once again installed an old version and I'm just not going to update anymore if I can help it. I realize some of the reasons why this isn't a good idea. However, what choice do I have if I want a version of VLC that actually works? I'm not a developer. I've already spent a considerable amount of time on numerous occasions, tweaking VLC to make it work, by painfully reading instructions and making step by step changes.
I know that sounds ungrateful since this doesn't cost anything it's just...
Why roll out updates if they don't work? I don't understand.
So frustrating. I'm a 57 year old grandma who just wants to watch a movie LOL. My son turned me onto VLC years ago and there are so MANY WONDERFUL things about it... when it works. I just wish it would. Ok rant done. I guess I'm just grumpy tonight. Sorry.

Vector_In
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Vector_In » 15 Oct 2023 03:14

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I'm having same problem. 3.0.19 is crashing. I went make to 3.0.18 for now.

regisd45
New Cone
New Cone

Postby regisd45 » 15 Oct 2023 11:14

Hello team and hello Lotesdelere

Thanks for your fast replies, indeed I joined here especially for the same problem as others peoples have.

Since V3.0.19 64bits installed :

Blocker problem : absolutely no MP4, nor MKV, nor FLV files are playable, it makes instantly crash at VLC opening (tested more than 40 differents)

Symptoms : at opening, VLC launches, then less than 1 sec later, close itself immediately, when relaunch, a message appears "Oops VLC has crashed, would you like to send repport" which I press yes, then it endless loop this scenario

I didn't noticed any problems for opening audio files (and btw thx for the FLAC problem fixed !) neither any AVI or MPEG files, which works fine for those I tested.

Actions : cleaned cache, cleaned appdata, reinstalled VLC, same issue

Config : W10 64bits 22H2/ Intel i5-2400 / AMD Radeon HD 5850
All latest updates are installed

Debugmode : I used your commandline, here is the result :
For MP4 : https://justpaste.it/a69qb
For MKV : https://justpaste.it/cnfgs
I imagine it's the same problem for FLV too

Thank you for your fast fixes !
I return to 3.0.17.4 meanwhile

Have a good day !

KaarloTuomi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KaarloTuomi » 15 Oct 2023 12:57

it seems there isn't a search function on justpase so you can't find it from the title.

try this instead: https://justpaste.it/bjoq2

take care,

Martin

DrOnline
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DrOnline » 15 Oct 2023 18:00

Hi,

https://justpaste.it/2dyh7

AMD CPU & AMD video card.

Wimbrel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wimbrel » 15 Oct 2023 19:26

I'm suffering the same on W10 with update 3.0.19, AMD Ryzen 7 3850X and AMD RX480 card. Everything was going swimmingly for several years, updated to the latest version and it crashes every time I try to play a piece of media. I installed the awful Windows version of VLC for yesterday, but installed 3.0.18 a few minutes ago, and everything is working again. much better than the cut-down box-fest of the one from the Windows Store. Is that ever updated? It says it's 3.2.1.0, but doesn't seem to make much sense, and has zero configurations that I could find.

vlcftw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlcftw » 15 Oct 2023 20:14

Same here, crashes (well crashed since downgraded to .18) on Win 10 64Bit (Core i7 4770 and Radeon R9 290x).

Weirdly doesn't crash on other comp with older processor and Intel integrated graphics so either temp bug or was fixed (not gonna test by updating VLC on main computer).

Krzysz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Krzysz » 15 Oct 2023 21:32

Same as many others. VLC 3.0.19 Vetinari is unusable as it crashes immediately on trying to play media. Out of many versions I've used, this the only problem.

System: W10, i7, 64GB RAM.

disco1954
New Cone
New Cone

Postby disco1954 » 16 Oct 2023 01:31

Greetings,
Crashing for me also,
Windows 10 Pro, 64 gig ram 22 Terabytes, JRiver Media Center 31
I got a pop-up that said, "Ooops: VLC media player just crashed. Would you like to send a bug report to the developers team?"
I re-installed the previous build, it works fine.
Sincerely

kevb40
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kevb40 » 16 Oct 2023 07:18

Greetings,
I might have a solution for you.
I have an AMD Processor and AMD graphics card running windows 10 pro
Had the same problem as everyone else here.
Simple solution:
Goto preferences > Video > Output
And change it from automatic to anything but "Direct3D 11"
click save and you should be good to go.
If you want a more detailed solution:
After selecting Show all settings,
Goto video > output modules > Direct3d 11 > Video upscaling mode > Set this to "video Processor"
All other upscaling modes in Direct3D 11 seem to crash.
The main thing this gets you is being able to leave Video output on automatic.
Funny thing is, I found this solution on a months old Reddit post for the same problem that showed up before.

KaarloTuomi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KaarloTuomi » 16 Oct 2023 10:55

@kevb40

after selecting <preferences> <video> and changing output to <OpenGl video output for windows>, the programme did indeed not crash, and it even started the DVD in my drive. but I was unable to select any of the menu options on the opening page or click anything with my mouse. which means the film itself would not play. so this does not immediately appear to be an actual solution.

maybe I should not have selected <OpenGl video output for windows>, but there are thirteen options under <output>. I also tried <Windows GDI video output> and this made the little player menu at the bottom left disappear, and once again I was unable to play a film. so just saying, "don't choose automatic," might be a step in the right direction but some knowledgable advice about what I should be selecting, rather than just what not to pick, would be appreciated.

thank you,

Martin

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 16 Oct 2023 11:23

Looks like it's a problem with Direct3D11 on AMD graphics cards. The VLC team is aware about this issue so we just have to wait for a fix.
Meanwhile, you can try this nightly build which should fix the issue, please report back if it works for you or not:
https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-3.0/ ... 1015-0225/

Other workarounds are to use another video output module than D3D11 or to roll back to a previous version of VLC.

jamesraykenney
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows/Linux

Postby jamesraykenney » 16 Oct 2023 11:42

@kevb40

after selecting <preferences> <video> and changing output to <OpenGl video output for windows>, the programme did indeed not crash, and it even started the DVD in my drive. but I was unable to select any of the menu options on the opening page or click anything with my mouse. which means the film itself would not play. so this does not immediately appear to be an actual solution.

maybe I should not have selected <OpenGl video output for windows>, but there are thirteen options under <output>. I also tried <Windows GDI video output> and this made the little player menu at the bottom left disappear, and once again I was unable to play a film. so just saying, "don't choose automatic," might be a step in the right direction but some knowledgable advice about what I should be selecting, rather than just what not to pick, would be appreciated.

thank you,

Martin
Try using Direct3D9 It worked for me...

KaarloTuomi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KaarloTuomi » 16 Oct 2023 13:10

@jamesraykenney

I'm afraid that didn't work either. so, bearing in mind that I only play DVD films, and have never used VLC for anything else, here are comprehensive test results for all fourteen options:

automatic : crashes before it opens. prompts to send a bug report. then opens. but when you try playing a film, it crashes.

Direct3D 11 video output : as <automatic>

Direct3D9 video output : opens, and you can click play which makes the opening splash card appear with the menu options <play movie>, <scene selections> etc, but clicking on them does nothing. audio is playing. going into the menus and selecting <next chapter> advances the audio but the video remains as the splash card.

OpenGL video output for Windows: as <Direct3D9 video output>

OpenGL video output: VLC opens but mouse pointer disappears and am unable to select anything. had to select Task Manager to close the programme.

DirectX (Direct Draw) video output: as <Direct3D9 video output>

Windows GDI video output : as <Direct3D9 video output>

Colour ASCII art video output: no splash card, but audio can be heard. selecting <next chapter> just recycles back to the beginning of the audio on the current chapter.

Statistics video output: as <Colour ASCII art video output>, except that when you go back in to change it, it has changed itself to <Dummy video output>

Video Memory output: crashes before it opens. prompts to send a bug report. then opens. but when you try playing a film, it is as <Colour ASCII art video output>, no splash card, audio only.

Flaschen-Taschen video output: no splash card, audio only. selecting <next chapter> does nothing.

YUV video output: as <Flaschen-Taschen video output>

Dummy video output: as <Flaschen-Taschen video output>

Disable: as <Flaschen-Taschen video output>

take care,

Martin

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 16 Oct 2023 14:20

Please try this nightly build and report back:

Forget the above link which is wrong, please use this one:
https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-3.0/ ... 1016-0220/

bitbull06
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bitbull06 » 16 Oct 2023 15:49

Please try this nightly build and report back:
unfortunately, still the same, only without 'oops, vlc media player crashed' ... message when trying a second time.
however, provided workaroud (change video output from 'automatic' to 'Direct3D 9') did the trick on this nightly build version for me (AMD Radeon HD6750 GPU)

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Postby robUx4 » 16 Oct 2023 16:54

What OS are you using ? Does it crash with D3D11 ? Can you provide logs when disabling hardware decoding with D3D11 ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”