How to delete played files list on "Open File" window?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Praxes
New Cone
New Cone

How to delete played files list on "Open File" window?

Postby Praxes » 08 Nov 2022 03:24

At the bottom of the "Open File" window, where it says File name, clicking on the down arrow shows a list of files that were played on VLC.

I prefer not having this list. How can I delete the list of files played and disable it?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: How to delete played files list on "Open File" window?

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Nov 2022 09:40

This is done by Windows Explorer and I don't know if you can disable this feature.
FYI these file names are stored in the sub keys of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSavePidlMRU\ in the registry.

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 08 Nov 2022 15:12

in tools > preferences > interface, you can uncheck "save recently played item", this will prevent recent medias to be stored, but be wary that this concerns both the windows recent list (the one you're mentioning) and the "media" > "open recent media" list

Praxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Praxes » 08 Nov 2022 18:04

This is done by Windows Explorer and I don't know if you can disable this feature.
FYI these file names are stored in the sub keys of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSavePidlMRU\ in the registry.
Are ComDlg32 and OpenSavePidlMRU present in Windows 11?

in tools > preferences > interface, you can uncheck "save recently played item", this will prevent recent medias to be stored, but be wary that this concerns both the windows recent list (the one you're mentioning) and the "media" > "open recent media" list
The recent item list showed up, even though I had previously unchecked the option.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 09 Nov 2022 10:26

in tools > preferences > interface, you can uncheck "save recently played item", this will prevent recent medias to be stored, but be wary that this concerns both the windows recent list (the one you're mentioning)

No, He's talking about the drop down files list of the Windows Explorer Open File box which is managed by Windows Explorer.

If the file names appear in the drop down list then Windows stores them.
You can find the keys where these names are stored in binary format with an advanced registry editor like the freeware Registry Finder because Windows Regedit can't do that.

Praxes
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Praxes » 09 Nov 2022 14:22

If the file names appear in the drop down list then Windows stores them.
You can find the keys where these names are stored in binary format with an advanced registry editor like the freeware Registry Finder because Windows Regedit can't do that.
I opened OpenSavePidlMRU. The files are mp3, so I clicked on OpenSavePidlMRU\mp3. Three RED_BINARY FILES are there, named "0", "1", and "MRUListEx". Are these the files appearing in the VLC drop down?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Nov 2022 13:09

The file names are encoded in binary format. Double click on the data value and a small window which looks like an hex editor will pop up then you can see the file name on the right part.
Be careful when modifying the registry, always make a backup before doing anything. You're doing it at your own risks.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”