YouTube Videos Expire Because They Save the GoogleVideo Links and Not the YouTube Links

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLCYouRealSoon
New Cone
New Cone

YouTube Videos Expire Because They Save the GoogleVideo Links and Not the YouTube Links

Postby VLCYouRealSoon » 05 Jul 2022 19:30

So using a normal Youtube URL, VLC can load the googlevideo link properly and play the stream. However, VLC stores the googlevideo link and not the original Youtube link, so when I save the stream in a playlist, the next day the video won't play because VLC doesn't pull a new googlevideo link, it uses the expired old link.

I searched the web and this forum and I found someone else with this problem back in 2015 but no response about how to fix it.

Is it possible to change the lua file to force VLC to store the link to the original Youtube page and access the new googlevideo link each time, instead of storing the googlebvideo link permanently, since that link expires within a day.

Thank you for any help.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: YouTube Videos Expire Because They Save the GoogleVideo Links and Not the YouTube Links

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Jul 2022 20:44

If the point is to make a playlist, then you are really better off just writing the YouTube URL down manually into the playlist file.

With that noted, and to answer the question, it is possible but what you need to modify is the source code of the Lua plugin (liblua_plugin.dll), not that of the Lua script (youtube.luac). In fact, the VLC YTDL plugin already essentially works the way that you describe, proving the point.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

VLCYouRealSoon
New Cone
New Cone

Re: YouTube Videos Expire Because They Save the GoogleVideo Links and Not the YouTube Links

Postby VLCYouRealSoon » 05 Jul 2022 21:11

If the point is to make a playlist, then you are really better off just writing the YouTube URL down manually into the playlist file.

With that noted, and to answer the question, it is possible but what you need to modify is the source code of the Lua plugin (liblua_plugin.dll), not that of the Lua script (youtube.luac). In fact, the VLC YTDL plugin already essentially works the way that you describe, proving the point.
Thank you, I'll try that out and let you know how it goes.

VLCYouRealSoon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VLCYouRealSoon » 05 Jul 2022 21:41

When you say "writing the YouTube URL down manually into the playlist file" do you mean "Advanced Open > Network"? Because that's how I've been doing it and it converts the Youtube URL to the temporary googlevideo link the first time and then after that will ignore the original Youtube URL and only attempt to load the googlevideo link, which expires after 12 hours or so.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Jul 2022 21:58

No. I mean in the playlist file.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 06 Jul 2022 08:36

Hit Ctrl + P to open preferences and in the opening menu go to Privacy / Network and remove the checkmark from "Save recently played items". Save, exit and restart vlc.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”