How would I increase the duration of "step backward" for streamed audio?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tyrovidome
New Cone
New Cone

How would I increase the duration of "step backward" for streamed audio?

Postby tyrovidome » 18 Jun 2022 20:01

When I play a network stream in VLC MP, the "step backward" button at the bottom works, but it will go back a maximum of roughly 210 seconds. If I ask it to go further, the accumulated audio is discarded and I have to restart the stream. I use VLC media player v. 3.0.16 in Windows 10. Over the years, I've noticed this same behavior with various Windows versions of VLC MP, on various computers.

How would I increase the duration of the audio that accumulates for "step backward"?

(And what's the proper term for this accumulated audio? "Buffer" is already used to describe something else in VLC MP, so that's not the word.)

Please note: I'm not asking about the recording option in VLC MP. Rather, I'm asking about the automatic accumulation of network stream audio.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: How would I increase the duration of "step backward" for streamed audio?

Postby Hitchhiker » 22 Jun 2022 18:30

You could use this addon I think: https://addons.videolan.org/p/1154013

To install, unzip to %ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions and rename the extension only to .luac

To find it afterwards click "View" on the vlc toolbar and you'll see it immediately.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: How would I increase the duration of "step backward" for streamed audio?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Jun 2022 18:35

Don't seek while streaming, seriously. This is very likely to break the receiver. Consider yourself lucky if it worked thus far.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”