Sound Problem, after pause, restart

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bruc epascal1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Sound Problem, after pause, restart

Postby bruc epascal1 » 29 May 2022 06:42

Video only! Playing music works fine!

I have a problem when using VLC for about a month now, and I have tried three different installation from 2.2.8 to 3.0.17.4 (win64...)

Everything works perfectly fine, except for one nuisance:

When I pause VLC while watching a video, the video stops immediately, but the sound will keep on playing for a few seconds. When I re-start it, the sound is continuously interrupted, few sec play, few sec stop.. permanently.
So, I exit VLC, restart the movie, and go to the time where I exited, and it will then again go on playing normally... till I pause again.

I am using a desktop pc with an i7-4770, Win7 and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I have re-installed the realtek sound driver. But no change.

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you, B.P

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Sound Problem, after pause, restart

Postby Hitchhiker » 29 May 2022 10:22

I can't reproduce the problem. Suggest you reset preferences and then try again: https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

If you've configured your own custom settings make a backup of "vlc-qt-interface.ini" and "vlcrc" files located in %APPDATA%\vlc so that you can restore them again afterwards.

bruc epascal1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bruc epascal1 » 29 May 2022 22:34

Thank you, Hitchhiker...

Yes, deleting those two items seems to solve the problem. So now I have to set everything again manulally, correct?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 30 May 2022 09:15

Thank you, Hitchhiker...

Yes, deleting those two items seems to solve the problem. So now I have to set everything again manulally, correct?

Depends on what you did. If you used to option to reset preferences vlc will automatically recreate them with default settings. If you made a backup of them you can use both to reinstate your own custom settings by overwriting the default values.

bruc epascal1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Sound Problem, after pause, restart...

Postby bruc epascal1 » 30 May 2022 21:05

I am sorry, but the problem has returned very quickly...

I deleted the two files you mentionend and restarted VLC with different settings, if those were the dafault settings I cannot say. I changed the to what I actually use and soon the trailing of the sound after stopping the movie started again, as did the interrupted sound after restarting.
As before, if I remember where I was, let us say minute 40, and click the timeline at that point, the movie will continue grom them without a problem.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: Sound Problem, after pause, restart...

Postby Hitchhiker » 31 May 2022 15:24

I am sorry, but the problem has returned very quickly...

I deleted the two files you mentionend and restarted VLC with different settings, if those were the dafault settings I cannot say. I changed the to what I actually use and soon the trailing of the sound after stopping the movie started again, as did the interrupted sound after restarting.
As before, if I remember where I was, let us say minute 40, and click the timeline at that point, the movie will continue grom them without a problem.

Although you deleted just the two files I mentioned the intention was to delete the whole folder called vlc in which they're both located as per the link provided. Just deleting those two leaves the others behind.

So could you try doing that again please. Open Windows File Explorer and then copy/paste: %APPDATA% to open the Roaming folder. Scroll down and you'll find a folder called vlc. Delete that and then restart vlc.

bruc epascal1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bruc epascal1 » 31 May 2022 23:01

As I wrote, I have Revo uninstalled VLC three times completely and clean installed 2.2.8, 3.0.14, und 3.17.4 which reset the Configuration to default, and yet, the symptom reappeared. So I am sure this has nothing to do with the installation, I re-installed the driver without making a difference. Is there a hardware part. that might malfunction? The video restarts fine after pause, just the sound refuses to work properly....

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 01 Jun 2022 07:24

It might be related to the drivers for the Nvidia card. According to Nvidia the drivers for the Fermi GPUs - the GT630 is one of those - reached EOL in 2018. Critical security issues were addressed in the Fermi series up to the end of 2019, but beyond that there's no support.

If you've updated Nvidia drivers to a version beyond the category which is supported it could cause performance issues similar to what you're experiencing now.

According to a post on the Nvidia forums the latest supported version for Fermi GPUs is 391.35

bruc epascal1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bruc epascal1 » 01 Jun 2022 21:21

Thanks, but I am familiar with that story and 391.35 is what I have installed. But I was wondering about that...
I use an B85M ASRock motherboard with an i7 4770, so I actually do not really need a separate GPU, right? If i uninstall the driver and remove the hardware... can I try that, or is that a bad idea?
I am not playing any games or anything complicated, so I could also buy another simple video-card... ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”