How To Configure "Capture Device" Settings

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DailyDriver
New Cone
New Cone

How To Configure "Capture Device" Settings

Postby DailyDriver » 18 Mar 2022 03:26

Hi there :)

Running latest VLC on Windows 11

First time using a "Capture Card" hdmi-to-usb adapter:

The feed originates from my tv provider's set-top box:

The adapter's manual simply makes reference to "acquisition software, such as VLC, OBS, Amcap, etc", but little else in the way of instructions.

My intention is to access the cable subscription's channel lineup on my laptop. (Specifically for viewing live sports, which is grainy on the cable provider's streaming website).

Since I'm familiar with VLC and already have it installed, I'd like to use it for this scenario.

In VLC, I go to "Media", then "Open Capture Device", the "Capture Device" Tab, and then it's just a guessing game.

So far, going with the default settings ("Capture mode = DirectShow") and pressing "Play" does yield something, but it's just the audio while the picture remains black as I change each channel, using the TV remote.

Can anyone please advise on which settings to tweak in order to get this setup working?

Thanks in advance! 8)

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: How To Configure "Capture Device" Settings

Postby unidan » 18 Mar 2022 11:23

Hi, I have the same adapter so I can give you the steps later. However, try with your own computer first. If your decoder outputs an HDCP protected content stream, you won't be able to capture it.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”