Unable to open the MRL for physical media

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
scheuerman2
New Cone
New Cone

Unable to open the MRL for physical media

Postby scheuerman2 » 02 Oct 2021 07:45

As the title says, I have a few legally purchased movies that I cannot play on my PC and get the error "VLC is unable to open the mrl for D:/" for these DVD's. and "No valid processing key found in AACS config file"

And yes, I have the most recent AACS file and other discs play perfectly fine.

The two movies I have (That I'm aware of) that give these errors are Disney's Cinderella 2015 (For my daughter, AACS error) and the new Transformers The Movie 35th anniversary that just released (MRL error)

I know the discs themselves are fine because they play on my Xbox, but as I BOUGHT AND PAID for these, I should be able to watch them wherever the hell I want, like if I'm using a laptop on a trip.

scheuerman2
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Unable to open the MRL for physical media

Postby scheuerman2 » 06 Oct 2021 19:16

Thanks nobody...

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 06 Oct 2021 20:48

The necessary libraries to playback protected content aren't included with the default vlc installer which is why you're seeing that messsage. As an open source media player Videolan is not going to include licensed software for which substantial fees are required.

There are workarounds available though which are explained here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924

ePirat
Developer
Developer
Operating System: macOS

Postby ePirat » 15 Nov 2021 23:31

These disc are copy protected (which affects playback too) and especially with recent titles they are usually not in any of the mentioned databases, there is nothing VLC can do about this.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”