VLC snapshot issue (again) - possible why and workaround

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Toxidious
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC snapshot issue (again) - possible why and workaround

Postby Toxidious » 08 Jul 2021 18:18

Hi.

1. Boring explanation
Today I was in need of taking some screenshots from a video recording I did. Since I haven't used the snap shot function for a long time (VLC have being re-installed since then) I had to select which directory to store the image files. I had already windows exporer open at at the output folder, so I just copied and pasted the full folder path.

OS and VLC version
VLC 3.0.16

What happens and what I tried (not helping)
Then I started to play the video file, and tried to make a snap shot (Shift+S) keyboard shortcut. Then nothing. By that I mean, absolutely no response at all. No screen flickering and neither was any file created. Searching online, mainly hits from this forum, I tested out all the steps below, none made any difference:
  • Relocate to a local folder (first choice was a network path).
  • Disabled hardware acceleration(there is an old thread saying this is adamant)
  • Adding an extra backslash character at the end of folder path
Then I did something weird by chance (ok that happens often, but usually doesn't end with any kind of solution)
By pure chance, I then decided to use the browse button to manually locate the output folder. This was mostly because I had giving up (I couldn't find more good advices online that also was newer than 2006'ish) and somehow thaught maybe the folder path are somehow incorrect.

So I did, and look and behold - all of a sudden the snap shots was working.

The conclusion for now - think this may be why snap shots sometimes doesn't work
The only thing I did different was to use the Browse-button, instead of just paste the folder path. I haven't tried to paste some folder path over the existing path so I don't know if that will revert back so the snap shot again fall back to a non-working state.

So far it seems that the Browse-button also "unlocks" the snap shot feature if this hasn't being used before :o

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: VLC snapshot issue (again) - possible why and workaround

Postby Hitchhiker » 10 Jul 2021 11:12

When I tried it just now it displays the path to the Pictures folder on my system. Checking that location afterwards I can see the four snaps I took which all open correctly.

Admittedly this is different than the Documentation for snapshots, but only from the point of view of what appears on screen.

Suggest you reset preferences and then try again: https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”