How much (wattage) power does VLC use?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How much (wattage) power does VLC use?

Postby Chromatic » 20 Apr 2021 08:12

Hey guys,..

I'm interested in the ROUGH power usage metrics for having a computer run VLC Video 24 hours a day, indefinitely.

This is best expressed in approximate 'wattage' / hour for me to determine cost.

How much variability is there in older machines vs newer machines in wattage usage (efficiency) in running VLC video?

With GPU decoding,.. what is the lowest end card range that appreciably works and are more efficient than cpus? Does this apply to all encoded video / video extensions?

Does this thing run eat up 150+ watts on a 2010 machine but 25 watts on basically any machine built after 2018? Maybe there isn't that much variability in efficiency - Any and all power usage information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: How much (wattage) power does VLC use?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Apr 2021 17:58

I wonder what you expect to be told here? Obviously this is so heavily dependent on the hardware and use case that the only way to find out is for you to measure it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”