3.0.12 Edited tags/metadata are not saved

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DrKaputnik
New Cone
New Cone

3.0.12 Edited tags/metadata are not saved

Postby DrKaputnik » 23 Jan 2021 19:00

When I edit tags in .mp4 files the changes made to the metadata tags (title, artist, date etc.) are not saved to the file after pressing "save metadata" in 3.0.12 (win 10 pro 1909 build 18363.1316). Just noticed after editing about 20 files.

Downgraded to 3.0.11 and that works fine.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: 3.0.12 Edited tags/metadata are not saved

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Jan 2021 09:15

I've tried to edit tags with:

MP3:
The Title tag got truncated
The Artist tag is OK
The Album tag got unmodified
The Genre tag has been removed!

MP4:
No effect at all!

OGG Vorbis:
Everything works

You should create a new ticket on the VLC Trac with your above report and the link to this thread:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/

Gecko62
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gecko62 » 08 Nov 2023 21:54

RE : always the same results whe editing MP4 metadata
They are not saved to the file
Thanks for your answer

3.0.20 Edit tags / metadata
Windows 11

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 09 Nov 2023 11:38

Works for me with MP4 for Title, Artist, Album, Date, Genre and Track Number. Although the Total Tracks number, Language and Copyright tags are not being saved in MP4 but they work with MP3, OGG and FLAC.
Don't forget to click on the Save Metadata button before exiting the editor window.

galavanteer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby galavanteer » 01 Dec 2023 06:57

I am running v3.0.20 and have (basically) the same issue.

I was trying to add the cover image to a series of videos — the image that displays in a media player before playing the video and the icon which displays in file manager before opening the file. However, I ran into a few difficulties:

]1) If I click on Tools > Media information > General - I can view the general metadata. But when I click on the VLC cone, I expected to be able to load an image. This didn't work as expected. Only later did I discover that one has to *RIGHT* click. I don't see why this would not work for just a simple click...

2) Anyway, after adding an image, I could not find any way to save the updated metadata — all I could see at the bottom right was a [Close] button. Later, I discovered that if I added text metadata then another [Save Metadata] button would miraculously appear. So I saved the Metadata. But, I could not find any [Save] or [Save as] function in the [Media] pull down menu — so I guessed (wrongly) that when I clicked [Save Metadata] that that had saved the updated metadata (with icon image) to the file. Besides, I would like the option to [Save as] a new file name.

3) When I closed and re-opened the mp4 file, I discovered that the edited metadata had not been updated.

If *ANYTHING* is edited in the metadata (including image icon), the [Save Metadata] should be visible. But, based on my experience, I am wondering what [Save Metadata] actually does — it evidently does *NOT* save the metadata to file.

Finally, at the end of the day, why is it not possible to [Save] or {Save as] a video after the metadata has been edited?!? I realize that I can do a [Convert/Save] — but that would be doing the operation on a file on disk — and, that does not offer the opportunity to create or edit the metadata.

This should not be rocket science. There has to be a simple and intuitive way to do this.
~~

conserte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby conserte » 03 May 2024 00:48

Hello, I am new of this forum, I made a lot of different attempts to save an image as a cover for a music file in the General page of the metadata where usually you find the cone. But saving it was always impossible.
At the end I found that it is enough to place the image file in the same folder of the mp3 file and rename it "cover". It is automatically loaded in the general matadata page and shown on the screen.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”