Update trashes media library links

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Update trashes media library links

Postby packzap » 21 Jan 2021 20:20

After updating to VLC version 3.0.12 and selecting "keep preferences" during the update, VLC decided to completely delete all the Media Library links I had saved. :evil:

These are links you can save in the VLC interface by going to View, Playlist and sliding the links leftward into the Media Library heading. I had saved my favorite internet radio links there and could always access by just clicking them. However, after the update, VLC decided to clear all of those out without any warnings or prompts. Why???

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Update trashes media library links

Postby Hitchhiker » 21 Jan 2021 21:23

Looks like every station has been wiped. I just streamed a few of them in vlc via links on Icecast servers and most of them seem to be broadcasting normally. Example: https://s4.radionetz.de/purefm-by.aac

So I guess it's a bug which has unfortunately been introduced in 3.0.12

Go file it at https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ and link to this thread.

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 22 Jan 2021 17:48

Hitchhiker,

I wish I could file a report on Trac. Unfortunately, that system is extremely slowwww and frustrating. It won't let me login. I tried creating a new account and it says "email address already in use".

I tried the reset password option and it goes into a "catch-22" situation saying "email and username must match known account". I know my email address and thought I was entering correct username, but apparently it does not like.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't have time for the utter nonsense. :x

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 22 Jan 2021 21:41

I wish I could file a report on Trac. Unfortunately, that system is extremely slowwww and frustrating.

I've just opened vlc and all the Icecast radio stations now display properly so no need to file a bug.

(click to enlarge)

Maybe you can see your favorites now too?

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 23 Jan 2021 00:35

That's not the topic of this thread! The problem is with VLC's Media Library -- not the Icecast radio directory.

The Media Library is where you can create customized personal links by sliding them over during listening from the Playlist to "Media Library" (see illustration). The links stay there upon successive restarts of VLC. That is, until you upgrade to version 3.0.12. :roll:

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 23 Jan 2021 09:25

I wish I could file a report on Trac. Unfortunately, that system is extremely slowwww and frustrating. It won't let me login. I tried creating a new account and it says "email address already in use".
I tried the reset password option and it goes into a "catch-22" situation saying "email and username must match known account". I know my email address and thought I was entering correct username, but apparently it does not like.

You need to create a new account with a new email address.
I know, it's annoying.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”