separate windows control/video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
roger21

separate windows control/video

Postby roger21 » 31 Dec 2005 00:32

hi

I can't configure VLC for having separate windows by default (with the default intreface style), is there a trick :? ?

thx for help

erbsen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby erbsen » 31 Dec 2005 09:19

Hi roger21

Settings - Preferences - Interface - General - wxWidgets - disable "Embed video in interface".
Save and restart VLC.

erbsen
Spying? Torture? Illegal airstrikes? Dyncorp, Halliburton - **Stay polite ** Slaves? SHUT UP and hate Bin Laden.

Postby Guest » 31 Dec 2005 10:25

it just don't stay

i was wondering if there was some conflict with some other settings so i reset all the settings (and saved my config file before) but it remains the same, it just don't stay when i restart the player (and it dosn't work ever without restarting although the setting hasn't disappeared yet)

the only way to have separate windows seems to be to change the interface to wxwidget (witch is already it) during the play of the video with or without the previous prefernce set ... and i would like to be the default

touche
New Cone
New Cone

Postby touche » 05 Jan 2006 16:43

Solution:
1) Change the setting as mentioned by erbsen, save and exit VLC.
2) Start vlc.exe from the directory it's installed in (%Program Files%\VideoLan\VLC)

Reason:
If you are starting VLC using the shortcut created by the installation, you get this problem as it adds the parametrs "--intf wx --wx-embed" also to the command line, giving you the embedded window.

Create and use a separate VLC shortcut without the parameter "--wx-embed".

roger21

Postby roger21 » 10 Jan 2006 01:12

thank you

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”