"Add to Player" missing from context menu

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

"Add to Player" missing from context menu

Postby volcano sun » 15 Oct 2020 01:12

I have looked around at many solutions out there, and none have worked. I tried running the installer and checking the context menu box. Looked at other possible solutions, and saw that the entries for it are even still in the registry...Even tried the "sendto" workaround to no avail. Perplexed. :?
Last edited by volcano sun on 15 Oct 2020 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: "Add to Player" missing from context menu

Postby volcano sun » 15 Oct 2020 01:13

(Running Windows 7, VLC 2.2.6) Never had a problem with this until lately.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 15 Oct 2020 12:20

Uninstall 2.2.6 and then download the current version which is 3.0.11 https://www.videolan.org/

The context menu option you're looking for is present in that version. Here's a screenshot.

(click to enlarge)

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 15 Oct 2020 14:41

Thank you. I had considered trying that. One thing, though—when i uninstalled VLC the last time (after which, I reinstalled the same) VLC was still present on my system. All indications showed it had been removed (was gone from 'programs and features' etc), but the player was still available for use somehow. :?: This struck me as odd and maybe having to do with the "umbrella" part of the title given to 2.2.6...not sure. But I'm afraid the same thing might happen if I try that. :geek:

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 16 Oct 2020 02:28

Can anyone tell me why VLC didn't actually uninstall despite its appearing to have done so? VLC entry was gone from "Programs and Features" in Windows 7, so it appeared to have been uninstalled, but wasn't, as described above. Thanks.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 16 Oct 2020 15:21

You can try using this Microsoft tool to uninstall it: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... or-removed

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 16 Oct 2020 16:52

Thanks again. Maybe I will. But I suspect we're not talking about mere corrupted registry keys here. Here's what's weird: The program /opened and was able to play a video file/ after the uninstall. Never in all my days of uninstalling programs have I ever encountered such a thing! Truly odd.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 16 Oct 2020 17:50

Is it still visible in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC (assuming you installed the 64-bit version).

Have you tried a reboot after uninstalling vlc?

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 17 Oct 2020 00:41

Sure, I tried the post-uninstall reboot...... Didn't check about the folder; who knows, but the program still was able to run as if it were never uninstalled. That's all i can really say atm. I'd been using (and still am using) the 32-bit version. Anyway, crazy.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 17 Oct 2020 12:31

Download the System Update Readiness Tool which can repair corrupt system files on Windows 7. That might be where the problem lies.

For the 64-bit version of the OS:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=20858

For the 32-bit version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=3132

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 17 Oct 2020 16:05

Thanks. So you suspect corrupt system files and registry keys associated with updates might account for VLC Media Player still being usable after an uninstall?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 17 Oct 2020 16:32

Is "AddToPlaylistVLC" key still present at this location: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell ?

Second question: how many entries do you have on your context menu? There's a limit of 16 entries. If exceeded the operating system removes those entries it considers non-essential, or in other words it favors Windows options over third party entries.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 17 Oct 2020 17:33

Oddly enough, Yes, it's still present there...

Good question; I have 5-6 entries, so that limitation has not been exceeded.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 17 Oct 2020 21:32

Oddly enough, Yes, it's still present there...

Good question; I have 5-6 entries, so that limitation has not been exceeded.
Something just discovered: "Add To Playlist" etc is present on the context menu, but only when I right-click on a folder, and not an mp4 or mp3 file.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 19 Oct 2020 13:15

I still think it's a file corruption problem which can be resolved by running the Microsoft tool I suggested. That would seem to be borne out by this post on the Windows Answers forum.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 20 Oct 2020 19:25

I still think it's a file corruption problem which can be resolved by running the Microsoft tool I suggested. That would seem to be borne out by this post on the Windows Answers forum.
Thanks again, HH. Before I download a 500MB utility, I will ask: 1. Is there perhaps some VLC .reg or .dll file repository where I could grab the appropriate file or files needed? 2. Do you no longer surmise that your suggested upgrade to VLC version 3.0.11 would fix this annoyance?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 21 Oct 2020 11:09

Thanks again, HH. Before I download a 500MB utility, I will ask: 1. Is there perhaps some VLC .reg or .dll file repository where I could grab the appropriate file or files needed? 2. Do you no longer surmise that your suggested upgrade to VLC version 3.0.11 would fix this annoyance?

You lost me. What dll file(s) are you referring to? They're all visible in the installation directory as far as I'm aware.

By the way, you mentioned earlier that vlc is visible on the context menu when you right click a folder, but not when you doing the same with an mp3 or mp4 file. In that respect you might want to check the registry key at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\mp3\OpenWithList

As regards the upgrade to 3.0.11 it's always wise to have the latest version. See the Changelog for details of fixes.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 21 Oct 2020 15:40

You lost me. What dll file(s) are you referring to? They're all visible in the installation directory as far as I'm aware.

By the way, you mentioned earlier that vlc is visible on the context menu when you right click a folder, but not when you doing the same with an mp3 or mp4 file. In that respect you might want to check the registry key at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\mp3\OpenWithList

As regards the upgrade to 3.0.11 it's always wise to have the latest version. See the Changelog for details of fixes.
Ok! Went to the spot in the registry, and see three keys under each file type (mp3 and mp4): OpenWithList, OpenWithProgids, and UserChoice. Should I add keys there? (If so, could you specify?) For the moment, never mind about the dll files, etc, it was a shot in the dark on my part. And thanks, will definitely consider upgrading to the later version.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 21 Oct 2020 21:05

Ok! Went to the spot in the registry, and see three keys under each file type (mp3 and mp4): OpenWithList, OpenWithProgids, and UserChoice. Should I add keys there? (If so, could you specify?) For the moment, never mind about the dll files, etc, it was a shot in the dark on my part. And thanks, will definitely consider upgrading to the later version.

It's not that simple because you've attempted to uninstall vlc and seem to have been partially successful. Adding keys to the registry at that location won't fix the problem if the vlc is missing in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\vlc.exe for example.

It's much easier to achieve your goal by upgrading to 3.0.11 which will add the relevant data to the numerous locations in the registry where they belong.

What you could do as a cursory step is to open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow If that reports errors which can't be fixed then you'll have to run the Microsoft tool you downloaded. It's a good program by the way. I ran it on my girlfriend's laptop running Windows 7 and it resolved all the problems she was experiencing.

As a precaution create a Windows System Restore point so that in the (unlikely) event that things go pear-shaped you can wind back the clock to the time prior to running the tool.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 21 Oct 2020 22:08

It's not that simple because you've attempted to uninstall vlc and seem to have been partially successful. Adding keys to the registry at that location won't fix the problem if the vlc is missing in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\vlc.exe for example.

It's much easier to achieve your goal by upgrading to 3.0.11 which will add the relevant data to the numerous locations in the registry where they belong.

What you could do as a cursory step is to open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow If that reports errors which can't be fixed then you'll have to run the Microsoft tool you downloaded. It's a good program by the way. I ran it on my girlfriend's laptop running Windows 7 and it resolved all the problems she was experiencing.

As a precaution create a Windows System Restore point so that in the (unlikely) event that things go pear-shaped you can wind back the clock to the time prior to running the tool.
Oh, ok. I guess that makes sense, about the futility of potentially adding the appropriate keys. However, I'm wondering why the issue wasn't resolved when I reinstalled the same version and checked "context menus" during the install? (which is why I balked at the upgrade before). That said, thank you much, either way, for the tip about the MS tool; I have this thread to refer to, should the need arise.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 22 Oct 2020 15:02

Oh, ok. I guess that makes sense, about the futility of potentially adding the appropriate keys. However, I'm wondering why the issue wasn't resolved when I reinstalled the same version and checked "context menus" during the install? (which is why I balked at the upgrade before). That said, thank you much, either way, for the tip about the MS tool; I have this thread to refer to, should the need arise.
I installed 3.0.11 and the entry still is not present on the context menu. Nonetheless I'm glad to have installed it for the other reasons.

Btw, I'd never heard the expression "go pear-shaped" before (no doubt similar to "go south," an American idiom).

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 23 Oct 2020 16:20

What kondoril mentioned in this thread is something worth looking at. According to him or her, the key located at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\AddToPlaylistVLC\command has the value:
C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file --no-playlist-enqueue "%1

If you have the same this is very easy to fix simply by right clicking the default value in the right hand pane and amending the setting to read:
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file --playlist-enqueue "%1"

You can do this one of two ways. Either delete the word "no-" from no-playlist-enqueue (click once to remove the highlight), or copy/paste the setting in bold type. Restart the computer after you make the change.

Screenshot for guidance.

EDIT: forgot the add the quotes to the string in bold type. Corrected now.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 23 Oct 2020 20:27

Thanks again, HH. As suspected, it turned out I'd tried adding that string already, after reading the other thread a few days ago. For grins, I just tried removing the quote before '%1' and restarted, but to no avail. :-|

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 24 Oct 2020 11:40

Clutching at straws now. Go to Windows Control Panel and click Default Programs. You should get the menu shown in the image.

Click the second option from the top to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". In the following menu scroll down to MP3 and double click it. The OS will display a choice menu with options to choose a specific program to open the file with. Click vlc to make it the default player.

volcano sun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby volcano sun » 24 Oct 2020 15:00

Yeah, tried that early on in the preliminary troubleshooting. In any case, thanks for all of your input so far.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”