Installed 32bit version of VLC by mistake

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
takhini
New Cone
New Cone

Installed 32bit version of VLC by mistake

Postby takhini » 28 Jun 2020 05:33

I goofed. I upgraded from vlc-2.2.4-win64 but I wasn't paying attention and installed vlc-3.0.11-win32 on my 64bit ASUS laptop, which came new with Windows 10 installed.

VLC starts and runs OK when I open a video file, but I cannot start the program by myself because Explorer cannot see any of the files or folders. Windows Control Panel does not see the program either, when I try to uninstall it from there. Running the 64bit installation program stalls when a Microsoft Store window appears and tells me VLC is already installed.

So I can't use the Windows or VideoLAN routines to uninstall it. I'm looking for a step-by-step procedure for manually deleting the 32bit version from the Windows Registry, because I would like to run the 64bit version.

Unless someone has a better idea, of course.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Installed 32bit version of VLC by mistake

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jun 2020 17:31

Something else is problematic, if you cannot browse your drive from explorer, to the VLC installation folder.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rja_carnegie
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Installed 32bit version of VLC by mistake

Postby rja_carnegie » 08 Jul 2020 22:49

User suggestion: Perhaps run the 32 bit installer of 3.0.11 again. I expect the first thing it will do is uninstall VLC, it has done that up to now, and presumably it knows what it did to install VLC, and how to remove it?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”