Casting to a Samsung TV

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Casting to a Samsung TV

Postby zavorra » 27 Apr 2020 17:21

Hello i would like to know if there is a way to cast from a video in VLC to the Samsung TV.

With windows 10 you can simply right click the video and press "cast to device" and select the Samsung TV.
Same with Chrome browser and Youtube site/app.

But i can't find anything under VLC and i find only guides on how to stream...
Checked under "Playback->Renderer" but there's only <Local>.

I have not Chromecast.

Is there a way to do casts with VLC and Samsung TV?

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Casting to a Samsung TV

Postby zavorra » 29 Apr 2020 11:52

No one in the VLC forum know anything?

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 02 May 2020 03:01

Up

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby jayR » 02 May 2020 07:40

Connnect your whatever TV to your computer using HDMI cable. Then you can direct computer screen to TV. You can also use TV as second monitor. Search windows forum for this!

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 02 May 2020 21:20

Connnect your whatever TV to your computer using HDMI cable. Then you can direct computer screen to TV. You can also use TV as second monitor. Search windows forum for this!
But i would like to do it without a cable, just thru WiFi like Windows 10 mediaplayer does, or like Chrome does, or like YouTube does.
Like this:

How come a stripped old lite windows media player (i think it is, even if i've not installed it...) can do such a thing, and VLC no?
Is it possible on VLC?

jayR

Postby jayR » 03 May 2020 05:46

If your TV has miracast support, you can use it to mirror your computer screen to your TV. If your TV does not have, you can buy a miracast dongle. This is done wirelessly using miracast.

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 10 May 2020 17:57

If your TV has miracast support, you can use it to mirror your computer screen to your TV. If your TV does not have, you can buy a miracast dongle. This is done wirelessly using miracast.

Ok i will check this Miracast, but i still don't understand how a modern program like VLC can't do this simple cast.

This is what i actually found is the simple and fast method that Windows 10 use:

Code: Select all

1. CAST: Cast is the easiest method to play a multimedia from a PC on to a Smart TV called Smart as they have an Operating System. However file formats supported for casting are limited to MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV for video and MP3, WMA, WAV for audio. The audio system of the TV can either be built-in or externally connected to a Hi-fi system. The Cast setup requires that (i) the PC and the Smart TV are connected to the same Home WiFi network (ii) Network discovery And File sharing are enabled on your currently active network profile (Private / Public) through Control Panel > Networking and Sharing Centre > Change advanced sharing settings (on left panel). Just as networking needs to be configured on the PC, similarly networking has to be configured on the Smart TV through the Settings menu, to either establish a peer-to-peer direct communication path Or inter-connect by hooking up to a common access point. As with any operating system, a network once created on a Smart TV, persists as the default network until a new network is created. To play a video, Open File Explorer on the PC, right click on the video file and from the shortcut menu choose Cast to Device > Smart TV (name). It may take some time for the PC to search for the TV on the network before displaying its name on the shortcut menu. Select the TV name on the shortcut menu and the media will automatically start playing on the TV, with the Cast Window for media control appearing on the PC. You can use the PC for other work by minimising the Cast Window while the media continue to play on the TV. Once a TV is successfully linked to a PC, the TV-name gets registered in the Devices list under Windows Settings and the TV-name will be readily available thereafter in the Cast to Device menu. On Windows 10, Casting is the simplest and most reliable choice for playing multimedia files from PC to any TV.

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 16 May 2020 12:35

Up

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 02 Jun 2020 11:13

Up

Poulpiche
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Poulpiche » 07 Jun 2020 01:33

Hi Zavorra

I'm in the same situation. I have a Samsung TV and I try to cast VLC on my TV in the same way Window Media Player do it

unfornately for me, WMP don't manage correctly audio tracks and subtitles. VLC do that but seem to don't detect my Tv

(and my PC is Wired, I can't use Miracast or other programs like it)

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 25 Jun 2020 14:52

Hi Zavorra

I'm in the same situation. I have a Samsung TV and I try to cast VLC on my TV in the same way Window Media Player do it

unfornately for me, WMP don't manage correctly audio tracks and subtitles. VLC do that but seem to don't detect my Tv

(and my PC is Wired, I can't use Miracast or other programs like it)
Well it seems no one here on VideoLAN forum have an answer or simply skip the thread :(

Up again.

zavorra
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zavorra » 27 Jun 2020 16:32

Up

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 27 Jun 2020 18:21

The only unicast rendering protocol supported at this time is ChromeCast - because that's the only one that got people volunteering to implement it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Poulpiche
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Poulpiche » 29 Jun 2020 15:54

ok but it's strange. i manage to project a video retrieved on the PC network share using my tablet with VLC to cast on my Samsung TV (from broadcast) which is supported by VLC.

on the other hand, doing the same thing from the PC to the TV without going through the tablet : impossible

I don't understand why

khalid.abubacker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby khalid.abubacker » 07 Aug 2020 08:07

Select Playback > renderers and select your casted television

lazey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lazey » 16 Oct 2020 12:24

but i still don't understand how a modern program like VLC can't do this simple cast.
VLC isn't a modern app. This is a very reliable and simple player but it's old. I suppose that the average age of developers about 50, so they are too old for this --please stay polite-- like WiFi and SmartTV. Good 'ol cable connection is the best and robust way :)

I have the same problem with VLC. It is perfect for a laptop but it can't be connected without 3rd party applications like with everything :)

davicoradini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davicoradini » 01 Aug 2021 19:51

Would be so nice to have a feature like popcorntime has, you select a device and it casts to it, like a charm. Would it be something to consider here?

davicoradini
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davicoradini » 01 Aug 2021 20:27

just found a nice solution: https://www.samsung.com/africa_en/suppo ... 14-models/
don't forget in order for subtitles to work in most Samsung TVs, you folder, video and subtitle files must have the "exact" same name - move you movie and subtitle file to a subfolder if it's in the root of USB or Shared folder using a Media Server

segaodma
New Cone
New Cone

Postby segaodma » 10 Feb 2023 05:54

up

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Postby Alaric » 10 Feb 2023 18:12

Casting on DLNA supporting devices should be implemented in the next VLC major release.
You can have a preview and test the feature on the nightlies but be aware that these versions aren't stable yet.

segaodma
New Cone
New Cone

Postby segaodma » 10 Feb 2023 22:06

There is an advance, the version 4.0 is finding my Philips TV as a renderer (which did not in the past versions), but when I choose it, it just wont work.

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Postby Alaric » 13 Feb 2023 12:07

This feature isn't ready yet for production so failures are to be expected sorry.
Could you please give us a link to a pastebin of the verbose logs of the problem? it would help us find the issue! (On windows hit ctrl-M and select verbose log output, then proceed to try rendering the media on your TV)

Maybe_in_love
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Maybe_in_love » 20 Jan 2024 19:53

YES IT'S POSSIBLE. Use xCast APP for android, it supports DLNA

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”